Pi install usb_claim_interface error -6

John Gibson

May 3, 2022, 10:57:44 AM5/3/22
to rtl_433
New install and now attempting to run rtl_433 and getting the usb_claim_interface error -6.

I have installed CubicSDR and can verify that my Nooelec NESDR RTL2832U & R820T2-Based is functioning.  I have searched for help/posts on this topic but am unable to find a resolution.  All assistance greatly appreciated!

John Gibson

May 3, 2022, 11:02:05 AM5/3/22
to rtl_433
Here is some additional information after running rtl_433 -v:

trying device  0:  Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001
usb_claim_interface error -6
Failed to open rtlsdr device #0.

Christian Z.

May 3, 2022, 11:20:59 AM5/3/22
to rtl_433
libusb error 6 is LIBUSB_ERROR_BUSY
Some other program is already accessing the device.

John Gibson

May 3, 2022, 11:25:34 AM5/3/22
to rtl_433
That makes sense...do you have any guidance on how to identify what may be accessing the device, or how to view the USB attached device on my pi?  BTW, this SDR is the ONLY USB attached device on my Pi.

David Powell

May 3, 2022, 12:13:28 PM5/3/22
to John Gibson, rtl_433

My guess is that either some other process has grabbed the SDR, or it's gone bad.

Christian Z.

May 3, 2022, 12:30:35 PM5/3/22
to rtl_433
Did you check that no DVB drivers are loaded and that access permissions are proper?

John Gibson

May 3, 2022, 4:21:03 PM5/3/22
to rtl_433
I would gladly do that, but as a relative Pi NOOB I have no idea on how to accomplish what you are suggesting...Will investigate later tonight, but if you could offer guidance...I would appreciate it.