Neptune R900 Reception

Christopher Norulak

Jan 4, 2024, 1:14:22 PMJan 4
to rtl_433
Good Afternoon,

Trying to measure my Neptune E-CODER R900i and I seem to be picking up all of my neighbors - but not my own - is there anything I'm missing? I'm using a NESDR Nano 2+ and the antenna is located maybe 20 feet away from the meter. Running under Home Assistant with the rtl_433 (next) branch.

Using MQTT explorer, I can see plenty of R900 units of various IDs. I tried adjusting the gain from auto, to 0.9 to 35 and scanning over the frequency listed in the manual (902Mhz to 928Mhz) initially over a period of 40 seconds (to ensure I pick up a signal since it appears to send signals every 14-20 seconds) - I then tried scanning over a period of 7.5 minutes in case I was misinterpreting the manual... I also noticed that the meters seem to stick in the 911 to 918 Mhz range, so I tried to play around with limiting the frequency range.

I also tried setting the sampling rate to 200K to match what was used in the initial PR that added R900 support.

Conf file:
output mqtt://...

hop_interval 450
convert native
protocol 228

sample_rate 2000k
gain 30.0

report_meta level

# frequency 902M
# frequency 903M
# frequency 904M
# frequency 905M
# frequency 906M
frequency 907M

frequency 908M
frequency 909M

frequency 910M
frequency 911M
frequency 912M
frequency 913M
frequency 914M
frequency 915M
frequency 916M
frequency 917M
frequency 918M
frequency 919M
frequency 920M

frequency 921M
frequency 922M
frequency 923M

frequency 924M
frequency 925M
frequency 926M
frequency 927M
frequency 928M

ecoder_manual.png
water meter id.jpg
mqtt_explorer.png

Christopher Norulak

Jun 10, 2024, 1:34:52 PMJun 10
to rtl_433
Not exactly sure what I was doing wrong, but I am sure I was doing something wrong - I ended up resolving this by using rtlamr2mqtt instead of rtl-433.
rtlamr config:
rtltcp: "-s 2048000"
rtlamr: "-unique=true"
- id: <ID from unit here>
  protocol: r900
  name: Water Meter
  format: "#####.##"
  unit_of_measurement: gal
  icon: mdi:water
  device_class: water

Sensor:
mqtt:
  sensor:
    - name: "Neptune Water Meter"
      unique_id: sensor.watermeter
      state_topic: "rtlamr/<ID here>/attributes"
      value_template: "{{value_json.Consumption | float / 10}}"
      unit_of_measurement: "gal"
      device_class: water
      state_class: total_increasing
      icon: "mdi:water"
      availability:
        - topic: "rtlamr/status"
      payload_available: "online"
      payload_not_available: "offline"
(I need to confirm the math works - I think the meter only reports to 1 decimal, while the display actually reads 2 decimals)