Strings as Labels

Corin Moss

Oct 28, 2011, 7:30:20 AM10/28/11
to rtexttools-help
Hi There,

Many thanks for this package - it's a very straight-forward approach
to testing different algorithms, plus the a number of your
implementations seems slightly better than what I've been using up
until now (I'm getting over 80% accuracy on a set for which another
MaxEnt implementation was only giving me 65%!)

I wondered if there are any plans to allow strings values as labels?
For generic classification tasks, this seems to make a lot of sense,
right now all labels need to be converted to numerical values before
being imported, in order to be able to make any sense of the reporting
output.

Regards,

Corin

Tim Jurka

Oct 28, 2011, 1:05:16 PM10/28/11
to rtextto...@googlegroups.com
Hi Corin,

I'm happy to hear that you're finding the RTextTools package useful.

The package was originally designed for data coding tasks where a codebook was available that would link numeric values to a given topic. I definitely think it'd be helpful to allow for string labels and I've added it to my to-do list for the next revision. Thank you for your feedback!

Best,
Tim

--
Timothy P. Jurka