How can I get overall Precision, recall and f-score

maximzhao

Apr 24, 2012, 5:10:29 AM4/24/12
to rtexttools-help
Hi,

Thank you for providing such nice tool.

The function create_precisionRecallSummary(corpus,
classification_results, b_value = 1) creates a summary of precision,
recall and f-score but for each algorithm broken down by unique label,
I just wondering,

1) how can I get overall precision,recall and f-score?

2) What does b_value mean?

Best,
Zhao

Tim Jurka

Apr 25, 2012, 12:13:45 AM4/25/12
to rtextto...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zhao,

Thank you for using RTextTools and providing feedback!

1) We actually do not calculate the overall precision, recall, and F-score in RTextTools. Our users have found that having these statistics on a label-by-label basis is most informative, as you can utilize an active learning approach and improve the training data for each label. However, your point is well taken and I will include this statistic in the next version of RTextTools.

2) The b_value is the beta value to calculate the F-score. You can read more about what this parameter indicates on Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_score ). Essentially, it indicates how many times more import recall is than precision.

Best,
Tim

--
Timothy P. Jurka