Burning the boot loader

Rick B

Jul 16, 2012, 9:57:20 PM7/16/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
I just soldered my board together and went to burn the boot loader to the MCU and couldn't find any ISP connections. Are you guys just soldering leads to the MOSI, MISO,SCK, VCC, ground, and reset pads in order to hook up an ISP? With all the connectors on the board it seems like they would have been brought out to a dedicated ISP connection...

Reza Naima

Jul 16, 2012, 11:05:37 PM7/16/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
There should be a jtag header exposed. I'm not sure if I broke out the ISP connector.

You can mount a 10 pin header or use a db9 connector to get to the jtag pins..

--
Confidentiality notices in emails are legally meaningless.

Rick B

Jul 19, 2012, 12:15:40 AM7/19/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
I don't have a JTAG board and I'm programming from a mac without AVR studio. From what I can gather i'd need to install boot camp/windows 7 so I can run AVR studio and purchase a not very cheap JTAG device. Anyone have any better ideas? This sounds like a pain.

Reza Naima

Jul 19, 2012, 12:30:03 AM7/19/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
That does sound like a pain.  I checked, and all the ISP pins are exposed as testpoints on the PCB.

Here is MISO, MOSI, SCK

For reset, you can solder to the back side of the button

And there are a lot of locations to grab Vcc/Gnd.   Solder wires to a header..

AVR ISP
header, 6 pin, plan view pinout

And you should be set.  It's a bit more work, but hopefully you'll only have to do it once.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can use the AVR programming tools (avrdude?) from a mac CLI to program via JTAG.  You just need to find the apps to let you do that.

Reza

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 9:15 PM
I don't have a JTAG board and I'm programming from a mac without AVR studio. From what I can gather i'd need to install boot camp/windows 7 so I can run AVR studio and purchase a not very cheap JTAG device. Anyone have any better ideas? This sounds like a pain.

On Monday, July 16, 2012 11:05:37 PM UTC-4, Reza Naima wrote:
Monday, July 16, 2012 8:05 PM
There should be a jtag header exposed. I'm not sure if I broke out the ISP connector.

You can mount a 10 pin header or use a db9 connector to get to the jtag pins..

Monday, July 16, 2012 6:57 PM

Rick B

Reza Naima

Jul 19, 2012, 2:07:35 PM7/19/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
Yes, working on firmware without the ability to step through code is horrible.  That being said, I wanted rStep to be accessible to a lot of people and did all the development just in the arduino ide.  I think the dragon is a good purchase, but you will probably only use it to burn the bootloader (is my guess) for the rstep.  If you want to save the $50, breaking out the pins for the ISP shouln't be too painful.

Reza

Rick B

Jul 21, 2012, 12:21:47 PM7/21/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
I just got the ISP soldered up and I realized that I only have the boot loader for a sanguino at 16 MHz. Do you happen to a have a 20 MHz version you could send me? Thanks in advance.

Reza Naima

Aug 9, 2012, 12:42:00 PM8/9/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
do you ever get this sorted?