Rstep controller board

pallebert

Nov 20, 2011, 4:23:14 PM11/20/11
to rstep
Hi all. just wondering about the Rstep controller-board. Is it a dead
issue or still alive? buying options ? or at least some good info for
building one for my self. All reply are appreciated
have spend almost 2 months of research on the best way of getting
Arduino to work with CNC 3 axis mills.
I have 1 mill running on EMC2 and a TB6560 controller board using
parallel port. works fine but quite expensive I think.
this approach looks very promising but it worries me that the post
about Rstep is quite old.
thinking of building 2 new 3 axis cnc mills for expanding my tool
shed. And the fact that I really like working around the Arduino
sphere I would really hate to see this project ending up in.... hmm
lets say nothing...
could anyone please uplift my spirit here...
any news ????

Robert Raymond

Nov 20, 2011, 6:30:24 PM11/20/11
to rs...@googlegroups.com
I am working on the same idea.  I have access to a small 3d printer that appears to be running on an arduino.
Bob s

Reza Naima

Nov 22, 2011, 5:48:28 PM11/22/11
to rs...@googlegroups.com
It's in limbo till I have more time to work on it.  I have extra PCBs if you can populate them.

Is there anyone on this list that wants to be more involved with a push at a production run?

Reza

Rolando Quintanilla

Nov 22, 2011, 5:50:47 PM11/22/11
to rs...@googlegroups.com
I am interested in learning more about what you have done.  I am very excited, about not needing a computer.  Do you have a website, or just the list server?

Thanks,

Rolando

Rolando Quintanilla

Nov 22, 2011, 5:51:07 PM11/22/11
to rs...@googlegroups.com
by computer I mean desktop

Kaan Demirtas

Nov 22, 2011, 5:51:08 PM11/22/11
to rs...@googlegroups.com
Whether I did not get the idea. Or, it is very simple to do; getting a cnc to work with an Arduino. You will have to use drivers though. But for the signaling and g code processing there are firmware free to use on the internet, just Google it.
On the other side working with emc2 is better in my opinion. You will have much more control over what you are doing. Otherwise you will need hardware to stop, start, pause, jog manually, etc. all on an Arduino board. Which is not that difficult but easier with a computer and a breakout board in my opinion.
We are manufacturing gantry type router kits. And always using mach3 software with step motor drivers. We have much more control over the table and have abilities to position the bit on a certain point as we like with probes easily (which is not available even on a commercial machine). Also, measuring tool and part heights are automatic this way. Doing these on an Arduino will require a lot of work I guess.

Reza Naima

Nov 22, 2011, 5:59:43 PM11/22/11
to rs...@googlegroups.com
The hardware incorporates an arduio clone (mostly to facilitate people adding features to the code), as well as 3 stepper motor controllers (2A @ 24V if I recall), and a PWM DC speed controller.  It also has a header to connect limit switches and/or input devices.   It is currently controlled via a USB connection to a PC, but the PC only sends it the gcode, thus the PC doesn't have to run at real-time (so no requirements for a dedicated PC).  It would be simple to modify it so it worked over WiFi or by reading data from an SD card.

Reza

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 1:30 AM, Robert Raymond <lusl...@gmail.com
<mailto:lusl...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    I am working on the same idea.  I have access to a smal l 3d

    printer that appears to be running on an arduino.
    Bob s

    On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 4:23 PM, pallebert <persan...@gmail.com

Robert Raymond

Nov 22, 2011, 11:13:59 PM11/22/11
to rs...@googlegroups.com
I would plan a production project with a few people,  I have cnc lathes and mills, a place to do assemblies and shipping and receiving procedures.
Bob S

Reza Naima

Nov 22, 2011, 11:22:33 PM11/22/11
to rs...@googlegroups.com
To go to production, we need an initial run and some beta testers.
After we get rid of bugs, we can do a production run.  I wouldn't do
assembly -- it's easy enough to outsource to one of many companies that
do this.

Reza

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:13 PM

iklln6

Nov 30, 2011, 9:03:43 PM11/30/11
to rstep
Well I'll be damned, I thought everyone up and left the project

The rStep hardware has been working nicely without problems for me for
quite some time now. Only flaw I've come across is that one ground
connection. I never did get around to fidgeting with the bootloader
to get rid of the start-up delay, either; I've just been uploading
modified rStep firmware via ISP. For stepper power I've just been
using a cheap $15 PC power supply from newegg, and the electronics
I've just been powering via USB. I haven't been able to test limit
switches yet (haven't gotten around to rigging any up, i just mill in
the center and manually position the bit to the board at the beginning
of the cutting process).

Has the progress on the GUI stalled out? I could pick that back up if
the GUI guy has disappeared.

Rolando Quintanilla

Nov 30, 2011, 10:14:40 PM11/30/11
to rs...@googlegroups.com
I would volunteer to be a beta tester.  Is there a design I can see to make my own board?

iklln6

Nov 30, 2011, 11:28:46 PM11/30/11
to rstep
Project files are hosted at google code --> http://code.google.com/p/rstep/