Re: Hi

Reza Naima

Jun 27, 2012, 6:50:44 PM6/27/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
Yes, there is one nasty bug in the current version of the hardware (i'm
not sure if i released a fix for it). I could have also sent you a blank
pcb if you like (i should have an extra couple someplace).

Have you ever soldered a surface mount PCB before? And if your friend
has a full sized mill, how big are the motors? This board maxes out at
2A/channel..

I think it's very possible for you to make this project work, but I
wouldn't say it's something a beginner should take on.

Reza

Rick wrote:
> Hello all. I'm an undergrad electrical engineering student and I like
> to play with microcontrollers as a hobby. A friend of mine just bought
> a full size millrite mill and I'd like to add cnc capabilities to the
> mill. I have a modest amount of experience with an Arduino, decent
> circuit design skills, and I'm pretty good with a soldering iron.
>
> I just ordered three (the minimum) V3 PCBs from OSH Park and a set of
> components from Digikey. I'd like to help with development in any way
> possible. Are there any pitfalls I should watch out while soldering up
> an rStep?

Rick B

Jun 30, 2012, 9:17:29 PM6/30/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
I've been told about the split group plane issue. I assume that's the PCB bug you're talking about. I've also been trained on SMD soldering briefly (week long mil-spec class) but I've never actually put it into practice on a full complement of components . I'm planning on using a toaster to do the soldering oven once the PCB comes in. I do have a hot air station station but the toaster oven method seems really quick and easy.

The plan is to run small steppers (NEMA 17'ish) geared about 5 to 1 to power the full size mill. It just has handwheels now so the stepper mounts and drives will have to be fabbed. The hand wheels will stay on the mill for manual operations. Feed speeds are not a big concern. This mill would only be making one off parts for home/farm/hobby purposes.

It would be great to make a DRO for the mill also. I think some rotary optical interrupters on the stepper motor shafts would work well but I'm getting ahead of myself. Lets just see if I can get the board working in the first place :)

Rick