jrStepGUI_110113

jlp

Jan 13, 2011, 1:24:54 PM1/13/11
to rstep
I have commited a new jrStepGUI version (r82). A compiled version is
available at http://code.google.com/p/rstep/downloads/detail?name=jrStepGUI_110113.jar

This version has minor bug corrections. I have adjusted the appearance
of the input fields in the Configuration window. It should now work
fine on Linux and OS X.

mrkiss

Jan 13, 2011, 3:11:14 PM1/13/11
to rstep
It is still 'waiting for rStep' with my arduino328 clone board with
rStep code
Is there any checking method whether my mac RXTX installation fits
whit rStep or not?

On 1월14일, 오전3시24분, jlp <jean-lo...@paquelin.net> wrote:
> I have commited a new jrStepGUI version (r82). A compiled version is
> available athttp://code.google.com/p/rstep/downloads/detail?name=jrStepGUI_110113...

jlp

Jan 13, 2011, 5:27:27 PM1/13/11
to rstep
You should try to run jrStepGUI from a terminal. You'll be able to see
the exceptions eventually thrown.
If RXTX is missing you'll get a java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError.

Reza Naima

Jan 13, 2011, 6:04:17 PM1/13/11
to rs...@googlegroups.com
Is RXTX now included in the jrStepGUI distribution?  I've also tried to compile it myself, but I can't get eclipse to work on my new box (windows 7 x64).  It throws a JNI error every time.  I'll have more time to play with it in 2 weeks after I take my  qualifying exam.

reza

jlp
Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:27 PM

You should try to run jrStepGUI from a terminal. You'll be able to see
the exceptions eventually thrown.
If RXTX is missing you'll get a java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError.

mrkiss
Thursday, January 13, 2011 12:11 PM

It is still 'waiting for rStep' with my arduino328 clone board with
rStep code
Is there any checking method whether my mac RXTX installation fits
whit rStep or not?

jlp
Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:24 AM

I have commited a new jrStepGUI version (r82). A compiled version is

mrkiss

Jan 13, 2011, 11:51:56 PM1/13/11
to rstep
I can't run jrStep in terminal. It tells me '-bash: ./
jrStepGUI_110113.jar: cannot execute binary file'
Is is impossible to run java binary in terminal? Am I did wrong?

what version(size?) of your RXTX in OSX /Library/Java/Extentions/
librxtxSerial.jnilib RXTXcomm.jar
When I installed reprep mac installer Arduino crashed when uploading.
So I googled and found it was related with RXTX in /Library/Java/
Extentions/
And I found same name but different sized files in Arduino package. I
replaced the two files with the ones in Arduino package. And Arduino
Works fine and reprep don't.
Again,
In case A when I use librxtxSerial.jnilib 274KB and RXTXcomm.jar
61KB jrStepGUI only waiting, Arduino fine, reprap can't start with
errors
In case B when I use librxtxSerial.jnilib 172KB and RXTXcomm.jar
61KB jrStepGUI tells RXTX version mismatch, Arduino crashs, reprep
works
I suspect reprep installer, it might did some more bad thing to my mac
beside the two file replacement.
Or my file replacement was not good action for jrStepGUI?
Anyway could you tell me your RXTX file size in mac /Library/Java/
Extentions?

jlp

Jan 15, 2011, 10:49:36 AM1/15/11
to rstep
I'm sorry but the update I wrote wasn't commited the other day. My
Eclipse was configured to get the source anonymously.
Now it's fixed.

On 13 jan, 19:24, jlp <jean-lo...@paquelin.net> wrote:
> I have commited a new jrStepGUI version (r82). A compiled version is
> available athttp://code.google.com/p/rstep/downloads/detail?name=jrStepGUI_110113...

David Chan

Jan 23, 2011, 6:06:33 PM1/23/11
to rstep
How do you run this on Mac OSX 10.6.6?
I get this when running in terminal mode. I copied the two files from
Arduino to the Java extensions directory. I chmod the files to include
execute.

MyMAC:GUI arduino$ ./jrStepGUI_110113.jar
-bash: ./jrStepGUI_110113.jar: cannot execute binary file
MyMac:GUI arduino$

When I run it from the Finder, GUI came up and everything is grayed
out. The status message shows "waiting for rstep".

My Arduino application works and the terminal shows "start". I am
using a Arduino Pro board with Atmega328.

Please advise,
David

Reza Naima

Jan 23, 2011, 6:09:09 PM1/23/11
to rs...@googlegroups.com
I've not played with the latest  version of jrStepGUI but did you select the correct serial port and have the proper RXTX drivers installed?  That seems to be a problem for multiple people.  Has it been included in te jrStepGui distribution?

Reza

David Chan
Sunday, January 23, 2011 3:06 PM

How do you run this on Mac OSX 10.6.6?
I get this when running in terminal mode. I copied the two files from
Arduino to the Java extensions directory. I chmod the files to include
execute.

MyMAC:GUI arduino$ ./jrStepGUI_110113.jar
-bash: ./jrStepGUI_110113.jar: cannot execute binary file
MyMac:GUI arduino$

When I run it from the Finder, GUI came up and everything is grayed
out. The status message shows "waiting for rstep".

My Arduino application works and the terminal shows "start". I am
using a Arduino Pro board with Atmega328.

Please advise,
David

jlp
Saturday, January 15, 2011 7:49 AM

I'm sorry but the update I wrote wasn't commited the other day. My
Eclipse was configured to get the source anonymously.
Now it's fixed.

jlp
Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:24 AM
I have commited a new jrStepGUI version (r82). A compiled version is

David

Jan 23, 2011, 6:18:54 PM1/23/11
to rstep
Reaz,

I downloaded the jrStepGUI from the google group. I copied the RXTX
drivers to the "Java extensions" directory. I ran the GUI with
everything grayed out. There is no way to select the comm port. I
tried to run with terminal and I get cannot run message.

Arduino version 0022 works on ATmega328 board. I uploaded your version
of rStep firmware and I can invoke the terminal to communicate with
the board.

I just cannot get the GUI to work.

David

On Jan 23, 3:09 pm, Reza Naima <r...@reza.net> wrote:
> I've not played with the latest  version of jrStepGUI but did you select
> the correct serial port and have the proper RXTX drivers installed?
> That seems to be a problem for multiple people.  Has it been included in
> te jrStepGui distribution?
>
> Reza

> >    David Chan <mailto:coffee...@gmail.com>
> > Sunday, January 23, 2011 3:06 PM
>
> > How do you run this on Mac OSX 10.6.6?
> > I get this when running in terminal mode. I copied the two files from
> > Arduino to the Java extensions directory. I chmod the files to include
> > execute.
>
> > MyMAC:GUI arduino$ ./jrStepGUI_110113.jar
> > -bash: ./jrStepGUI_110113.jar: cannot execute binary file
> > MyMac:GUI arduino$
>
> > When I run it from the Finder, GUI came up and everything is grayed
> > out. The status message shows "waiting for rstep".
>
> > My Arduino application works and the terminal shows "start". I am
> > using a Arduino Pro board with Atmega328.
>
> > Please advise,
> > David

> >    jlp <mailto:jean-lo...@paquelin.net>
> > Saturday, January 15, 2011 7:49 AM
>
> > I'm sorry but the update I wrote wasn't commited the other day. My
> > Eclipse was configured to get the source anonymously.
> > Now it's fixed.

> >    jlp <mailto:jean-lo...@paquelin.net>
> > Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:24 AM
>
> > I have commited a new jrStepGUI version (r82). A compiled version is
> > available at
> >http://code.google.com/p/rstep/downloads/detail?name=jrStepGUI_110113...

Reza Naima

Jan 23, 2011, 10:16:34 PM1/23/11
to rs...@googlegroups.com
Yup, your right - there must be a bug with the latest version.  Before I used to be able to configure the serial port and the current version doesn't give me that option anymore.  I know I've gotten it to work before, but I downloaded the older version and had the same problem.  According to the source, it should pop up a dialog right away to prompt for the serial port.  I don't have time this week to do anything so hopefully someone else can debug it.  I still havn't been able to get the 64bit version of eclipse to run on this new computer to start playing around with the code.

    public Application() {
                rStep = new RStep();

                // connect a PrintStream to monitor rStep I/Os
                rStep.setSerialMonitor(new PrintStream(getSerialJPanelOutputStream(), true));
                rStep.setTimestamping(true);

                // listen to some rStep outputs
                EventBus.subscribe("RStep START", this);
                EventBus.subscribe(Pattern.compile("RStep Reply:.*"), this);
                EventBus.subscribe(Pattern.compile("RStep Debug:.*"), this);
                EventBus.subscribe(Pattern.compile("RStep Syntax error:.*"), this);

                EventBus.subscribe(Pattern.compile("RStep Sen[dt]"), this);
                EventBus.subscribe(Pattern.compile("RStep CommunicationException"), this);

                rStepPlayer = new RStepPlayer();

                // listen to all RStepPlayer outputs
                EventBus.subscribe(Pattern.compile("PlayThread.*"), this);

                mainJPanel = new MainJPanel(this);
                this.getContentPane().add(mainJPanel);

                this.addWindowListener(new ApplicationWindowEventHandler());
                this.setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.DO_NOTHING_ON_CLOSE);

                this.setTitle("jrStepGUI");
                this.setSize(700, 525);

                MySwingUtilities.displayCentered(this);

                setUIState(UIStates.STARTUP);
                this.setVisible(true);

                // open a SerialJDialog that allows to choose and open
                // the serial port on which rStep communicates
                SerialJDialog serialJDialog = new SerialJDialog(this);
                serialJDialog.setVisible(true);
        }

David
Sunday, January 23, 2011 3:18 PM

Reaz,

I downloaded the jrStepGUI from the google group. I copied the RXTX
drivers to the "Java extensions" directory. I ran the GUI with
everything grayed out. There is no way to select the comm port. I
tried to run with terminal and I get cannot run message.

Arduino version 0022 works on ATmega328 board. I uploaded your version
of rStep firmware and I can invoke the terminal to communicate with
the board.

I just cannot get the GUI to work.

David

Reza Naima
Sunday, January 23, 2011 3:09 PM

[...]

jlp

Jan 24, 2011, 2:06:27 PM1/24/11
to rstep
If the serial port selection dialog doesn't appear, it means that the
RXTX library isn't properly installed (I have reproduced the "bug" on
my Linux box to be sure).
The RXTX library relies on a Java library file and one (or two) native
library file which depends on the OS you use. I use to link the Java
part in jrStepGUI but I can't do the same for the native part as it
varies.

I'll try to add a popup to notify the problem to the user but I can't
fix it, as the way to do that depends on the OS.

It seems the better way to install RXTX is the web install:
http://show.docjava.com:8086/book/cgij/code/jnlp/gnu.io.SafeCommDriver.jnlp
But a manual install may be necessary if the web install doesn't work:
http://rxtx.qbang.org/pub/rxtx/rxtx-2.1-7-bins-r2.zip

On 24 jan, 04:16, Reza Naima <r...@reza.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > execute.
>
> > MyMAC:GUI arduino$ ./jrStepGUI_110113.jar
> > -bash: ./jrStepGUI_110113.jar: cannot execute binary file
> > MyMac:GUI arduino$
>
> > When I run it from the Finder, GUI came up and everything is grayed
> > out. The status message shows "waiting for rstep".
>
> > My Arduino application works and the terminal shows "start". I am
> > using a Arduino Pro board with Atmega328.
>
> > Please advise,
> > David

> >    jlp <mailto:jean-lo...@paquelin.net>
> > Saturday, January 15, 2011 7:49 AM
>
> > I'm sorry but the update I wrote wasn't commited the other day. My
> > Eclipse was configured to get the source anonymously.
> > Now it's fixed.

> >    jlp <mailto:jean-lo...@paquelin.net>
> > Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:24 AM
>
> > I have commited a new jrStepGUI version (r82). A compiled version is

David

Jan 24, 2011, 11:31:49 PM1/24/11
to rstep
The web install failed with a popup message stating "Unable to launch
the application".
When I manually install and fix the permission, same problem with no
popup. Just waiting for rstep.
Anybody else get in to work on Max OSX 10.6.6? What is the correct
install steps?

By the way, the date on the two files are much older and different
size than the ones in the Arduino package.
David

On Jan 24, 11:06 am, jlp <jean-lo...@paquelin.net> wrote:
> If the serial port selection dialog doesn't appear, it means that the
> RXTX library isn't properly installed (I have reproduced the "bug" on
> my Linux box to be sure).
> The RXTX library relies on a Java library file and one (or two) native
> library file which depends on the OS you use. I use to link the Java
> part in jrStepGUI but I can't do the same for the native part as it
> varies.
>
> I'll try to add a popup to notify the problem to the user but I can't
> fix it, as the way to do that depends on the OS.
>
> It seems the better way to install RXTX is the web install:http://show.docjava.com:8086/book/cgij/code/jnlp/gnu.io.SafeCommDrive...

iklln6

Jan 25, 2011, 12:39:25 AM1/25/11
to rstep
Go to /System/Library/Java/Extensions -- delete (or place in a /
disable/ folder) RXTXcomm.jar and librxtxSeria.jnilib, if they exist
Go to /Library/Java/Extensions -- do the same as above
Check ~/Library in case there is a Java folder in there (if there is,
repeat the above)
place jrStepGUI in a folder with RXTXcomm.jar and librxtxSerial.jnilib
and double click jrStepGUI.jar to run

coffee4us

Jan 25, 2011, 1:31:55 AM1/25/11
to rstep
Still no popup!

David

Reza Naima

Jan 25, 2011, 5:04:14 AM1/25/11
to rs...@googlegroups.com
How do the arduino people manage to bundle them together (rxtx w/ code)?

And would it simplify things at all if the code was ported to processing and we reused all your libraries?  I know nothing about java GUI programming -- and it's been a decade since i did enterprise java coding.

reza

coffee4us
Monday, January 24, 2011 10:31 PM

Still no popup!

David

iklln6
Monday, January 24, 2011 9:39 PM

Go to /System/Library/Java/Extensions -- delete (or place in a /
disable/ folder) RXTXcomm.jar and librxtxSeria.jnilib, if they exist
Go to /Library/Java/Extensions -- do the same as above
Check ~/Library in case there is a Java folder in there (if there is,
repeat the above)
place jrStepGUI in a folder with RXTXcomm.jar and librxtxSerial.jnilib
and double click jrStepGUI.jar to run

David
Monday, January 24, 2011 8:31 PM

The web install failed with a popup message stating "Unable to launch
the application".
When I manually install and fix the permission, same problem with no
popup. Just waiting for rstep.
Anybody else get in to work on Max OSX 10.6.6? What is the correct
install steps?

By the way, the date on the two files are much older and different
size than the ones in the Arduino package.
David

jlp
Monday, January 24, 2011 11:06 AM

If the serial port selection dialog doesn't appear, it means that the
RXTX library isn't properly installed (I have reproduced the "bug" on
my Linux box to be sure).
The RXTX library relies on a Java library file and one (or two) native
library file which depends on the OS you use. I use to link the Java
part in jrStepGUI but I can't do the same for the native part as it
varies.

I'll try to add a popup to notify the problem to the user but I can't
fix it, as the way to do that depends on the OS.

It seems the better way to install RXTX is the web install:

But a manual install may be necessary if the web install doesn't work:
http://rxtx.qbang.org/pub/rxtx/rxtx-2.1-7-bins-r2.zip

Reza Naima
Sunday, January 23, 2011 7:16 PM

[...]

iklln6

Jan 25, 2011, 8:54:46 AM1/25/11
to rstep
I'm going to upload a folder with the two RXTX files I've been
dropping in with jrStepGUI to the SVN, see if those work better for
you. if they don't, watch your console and relay the errors back here

On Jan 25, 4:04 am, Reza Naima <r...@reza.net> wrote:
> How do the arduino people manage to bundle them together (rxtx w/ code)?
>
> And would it simplify things at all if the code was ported to processing
> and we reused all your libraries?  I know nothing about java GUI
> programming -- and it's been a decade since i did enterprise java coding.
>
> reza

> >    coffee4us <mailto:davechan1...@gmail.com>
> > Monday, January 24, 2011 10:31 PM
>
> > Still no popup!
>
> > David

> >    iklln6 <mailto:michaeldn...@gmail.com>
> > Monday, January 24, 2011 9:39 PM
>
> > Go to /System/Library/Java/Extensions -- delete (or place in a /
> > disable/ folder) RXTXcomm.jar and librxtxSeria.jnilib, if they exist
> > Go to /Library/Java/Extensions -- do the same as above
> > Check ~/Library in case there is a Java folder in there (if there is,
> > repeat the above)
> > place jrStepGUI in a folder with RXTXcomm.jar and librxtxSerial.jnilib
> > and double click jrStepGUI.jar to run

> >    David <mailto:coffee...@gmail.com>
> > Monday, January 24, 2011 8:31 PM
>
> > The web install failed with a popup message stating "Unable to launch
> > the application".
> > When I manually install and fix the permission, same problem with no
> > popup. Just waiting for rstep.
> > Anybody else get in to work on Max OSX 10.6.6? What is the correct
> > install steps?
>
> > By the way, the date on the two files are much older and different
> > size than the ones in the Arduino package.
> > David

> >    jlp <mailto:jean-lo...@paquelin.net>
> > Monday, January 24, 2011 11:06 AM
>
> > If the serial port selection dialog doesn't appear, it means that the
> > RXTX library isn't properly installed (I have reproduced the "bug" on
> > my Linux box to be sure).
> > The RXTX library relies on a Java library file and one (or two) native
> > library file which depends on the OS you use. I use to link the Java
> > part in jrStepGUI but I can't do the same for the native part as it
> > varies.
>
> > I'll try to add a popup to notify the problem to the user but I can't
> > fix it, as the way to do that depends on the OS.
>
> > It seems the better way to install RXTX is the web install:
> >http://show.docjava.com:8086/book/cgij/code/jnlp/gnu.io.SafeCommDrive...
> > But a manual install may be necessary if the web install doesn't work:
> >http://rxtx.qbang.org/pub/rxtx/rxtx-2.1-7-bins-r2.zip

> >    Reza Naima <mailto:r...@reza.net>

jlp

Jan 25, 2011, 4:55:41 PM1/25/11
to rstep
The Arduino SDK archives contains the application and the libraries
(and many other files). We can do the same but then we need to build a
bundle for each target OS (a bit laborious).

Java look for the native libraries in a directory specified by a
property called java.library.path. If the libraries aren't in the
proper directory the Java virtual machine throws a
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError exception. We can extend the
java.library.path property with a shell variable. The variable name
depends on the OS. On OS X, the variable is called DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
(afaik) but I don't know how to set it once for all as I'm not a Mac
user (see http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/dyld.1.html).
However, if you want to do this with a shell script, you may write
something like that:

#!/bin/sh
export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH:.:lib
java jrStepGUI.jar

Before running that in the jrStepGUI directory, it will be necessary
to copy the native library files in the the same directory or in a lib
subdirectory.

I think it would work, I'll test it under Linux tomorow.

On 25 jan, 11:04, Reza Naima <r...@reza.net> wrote:
> How do the arduino people manage to bundle them together (rxtx w/ code)?
>
> And would it simplify things at all if the code was ported to processing
> and we reused all your libraries?  I know nothing about java GUI
> programming -- and it's been a decade since i did enterprise java coding.
>
> reza

> >    coffee4us <mailto:davechan1...@gmail.com>
> > Monday, January 24, 2011 10:31 PM
>
> > Still no popup!
>
> > David

> >    iklln6 <mailto:michaeldn...@gmail.com>
> > Monday, January 24, 2011 9:39 PM
>
> > Go to /System/Library/Java/Extensions -- delete (or place in a /
> > disable/ folder) RXTXcomm.jar and librxtxSeria.jnilib, if they exist
> > Go to /Library/Java/Extensions -- do the same as above
> > Check ~/Library in case there is a Java folder in there (if there is,
> > repeat the above)
> > place jrStepGUI in a folder with RXTXcomm.jar and librxtxSerial.jnilib
> > and double click jrStepGUI.jar to run

> >    David <mailto:coffee...@gmail.com>
> > Monday, January 24, 2011 8:31 PM
>
> > The web install failed with a popup message stating "Unable to launch
> > the application".
> > When I manually install and fix the permission, same problem with no
> > popup. Just waiting for rstep.
> > Anybody else get in to work on Max OSX 10.6.6? What is the correct
> > install steps?
>
> > By the way, the date on the two files are much older and different
> > size than the ones in the Arduino package.
> > David

> >    jlp <mailto:jean-lo...@paquelin.net>
> > Monday, January 24, 2011 11:06 AM
>
> > If the serial port selection dialog doesn't appear, it means that the
> > RXTX library isn't properly installed (I have reproduced the "bug" on
> > my Linux box to be sure).
> > The RXTX library relies on a Java library file and one (or two) native
> > library file which depends on the OS you use. I use to link the Java
> > part in jrStepGUI but I can't do the same for the native part as it
> > varies.
>
> > I'll try to add a popup to notify the problem to the user but I can't
> > fix it, as the way to do that depends on the OS.
>
> > It seems the better way to install RXTX is the web install:
> >http://show.docjava.com:8086/book/cgij/code/jnlp/gnu.io.SafeCommDrive...
> > But a manual install may be necessary if the web install doesn't work:
> >http://rxtx.qbang.org/pub/rxtx/rxtx-2.1-7-bins-r2.zip

> >    Reza Naima <mailto:r...@reza.net>

iklln6

Jan 25, 2011, 8:09:23 PM1/25/11
to rstep
i am a mac user, and i didn't make any modifications to the system
(that i'm aware of) concerning where to look for libraries. for me,
jrStepGUI works when it's in a folder with the RXTXcomm.jar and
librxtxSerial.jnilib. until there's a major reason to bundle/package
jrstepgui into OS-specific packages i see nothing wrong with leaving
everything the way it is, but with a note to mac users to download the
folder i uploaded to the svn (branches>RXTX-Mac Folder) and drop
jrstepgui in it before running. perhaps a side note for mac users who
have already tried going down the long road of throwing RXTX at the
system's java folders to delete rxtx from all the key locations (/
System/Library/Java/Extensions and Library/Java/Extensions). having
RXTX in the system folders will inevitably cause an inconsistent
version error of which the system can't work around.

the folder+ 2 files i dropped in the svn is exactly how i have
jrStepGUI situated and it executes soundly (OS X 10.6.6)

On Jan 25, 3:55 pm, jlp <jean-lo...@paquelin.net> wrote:
> The Arduino SDK archives contains the application and the libraries
> (and many other files). We can do the same but then we need to build a
> bundle for each target OS (a bit laborious).
>
> Java look for the native libraries in a directory specified by a
> property called java.library.path. If the libraries aren't in the
> proper directory the Java virtual machine throws a
> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError exception. We can extend the
> java.library.path property with a shell variable. The variable name
> depends on the OS. On OS X, the variable is called DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
> (afaik) but I don't know how to set it once for all as I'm not a Mac
> user (seehttp://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Referenc...).

coffee4us

Jan 26, 2011, 1:43:48 AM1/26/11
to rstep
What is loaded on your Mac? I have virgin 10.6.6 without Xcode and
Eclipse IDE.
Also, what is the path to the svn?

coffee4us

Jan 26, 2011, 5:55:13 AM1/26/11
to rstep
This is what shows up on the console when I launch the GUI:

1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597]
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Users/davidchan/Downloads/
librxtxSerial.jnilib: no suitable image found. Did find: /Users/
davidchan/Downloads/librxtxSerial.jnilib: no matching architecture in
universal wrapper thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver
1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597] Exception
in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Users/
davidchan/Downloads/librxtxSerial.jnilib: no suitable image found.
Did find: /Users/davidchan/Downloads/librxtxSerial.jnilib: no
matching architecture in universal wrapper
1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597] at
java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597] at
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1823)
1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597] at
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1738)
1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597] at
java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:823)
1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597] at
java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1045)
1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597] at
gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier.<clinit>(CommPortIdentifier.java:83)
1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597] at
com.studionex.rStep.input.Serial.getAvailablePorts(Serial.java:217)
1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597] at
com.studionex.jrStepGUI.SerialJDialog.buildUI(SerialJDialog.java:64)
1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597] at
com.studionex.jrStepGUI.SerialJDialog.<init>(SerialJDialog.java:53)
1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597] at
com.studionex.jrStepGUI.Application.<init>(Application.java:97)
1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597] at
com.studionex.jrStepGUI.Application$1.run(Application.java:243)
1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597] at
java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597] at
java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:633)
1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597] at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:
296)
1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597] at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:
211)
1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597] at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:
201)
1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597] at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:196)
1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597] at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:188)
1/26/11 2:47:34 AM [0x0-0x5a05a].com.apple.JarLauncher[597] at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)

jlp

Jan 26, 2011, 8:30:33 AM1/26/11
to rstep
That's what I said. The native library didn't load.

> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Users/davidchan/Downloads/
> librxtxSerial.jnilib: no suitable image found. Did find: /Users/
> davidchan/Downloads/librxtxSerial.jnilib: no matching architecture in
> universal wrapper thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver

Try to put the librxtxSerial.jnilib file in /Users/davidchan/
Downloads/

> plus de détails »

iklln6

Jan 26, 2011, 10:08:36 AM1/26/11
to rstep
why is it in Downloads

> read more »

iklln6

Jan 26, 2011, 10:19:52 AM1/26/11
to rstep
funny, that's what my console says when i pull rxtxcomm.jar and
librxtxserial.jnilib out of the folder containing jrstepgui and try to
run jrstepgui. when they're in the same folder with jrstepgui, it
loads fine

> read more »

coffee4us

Jan 26, 2011, 4:20:12 PM1/26/11
to rstep
The two files are in the /Users/davidchan/Downloads/ directory when I
run it.

> Did find: /Users/
> davidchan/Downloads/librxtxSerial.jnilib: no matching architecture in
> universal wrapper thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver

David

> read more »

coffee4us

Jan 26, 2011, 5:08:52 PM1/26/11
to rstep
I tried on another machine and this is what I got.

With all the files in the same folder:

1/26/11 2:02:57 PM [0x0-0xb40b4].com.apple.JarLauncher[980]
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Users/davidchan/Temp/rStep/GUI/
librxtxSerial.jnilib: no suitable image found. Did find: /Users/
davidchan/Temp/rStep/GUI/librxtxSerial.jnilib: no matching
architecture in universal wrapper thrown while loading
gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver
1/26/11 2:02:57 PM [0x0-0xb40b4].com.apple.JarLauncher[980] Exception
in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Users/
davidchan/Temp/rStep/GUI/librxtxSerial.jnilib: no suitable image
found. Did find: /Users/davidchan/Temp/rStep/GUI/
librxtxSerial.jnilib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper

After I deleted the rxtxcomm.jar and the librxtxserial.jnilib:

1/26/11 2:08:39 PM [0x0-0xba0ba].com.apple.JarLauncher[1026]
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no rxtxSerial in java.library.path
thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver
1/26/11 2:08:39 PM [0x0-0xba0ba].com.apple.JarLauncher[1026] Exception
in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no
rxtxSerial in java.library.path

David

iklln6

Jan 26, 2011, 6:33:06 PM1/26/11
to rstep
where is jrstepgui?

> read more »

coffee4us

Jan 26, 2011, 10:37:40 PM1/26/11
to rstep
jrstepgui is in the same directory as RXTXcomm.jar and
librxtxSerial.jnilib.

iklln6

Jan 27, 2011, 11:04:44 AM1/27/11
to rstep
install xcode

Reza Naima

Jan 27, 2011, 4:13:48 PM1/27/11
to rs...@googlegroups.com
There has to be a better way than to have users install Xcode to get it work.  I can help build scripts to do the multiple-architecture packaging scripts if that's what we need.

so my big exam is over with and i can start on this project again.  FULL SPEED AHEAD!!

-r

iklln6
Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:04 AM

install xcode

coffee4us
Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:37 PM

jrstepgui is in the same directory as RXTXcomm.jar and
librxtxSerial.jnilib.

iklln6
Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:33 PM

where is jrstepgui?

coffee4us
Wednesday, January 26, 2011 1:20 PM
If the serial port selection dialog doesn't appear, it means that the
RXTX library isn't properly installed (I have reproduced the "bug" on
my Linux box to be sure).
The RXTX library relies on a Java library file and one (or two) native
library file which depends on the OS you use. I use to link the Java
part in jrStepGUI but I can't do the same for the native part as it
varies.
I'll try to add a popup to notify the problem to the user but I can't
fix it, as the way to do that depends on the OS.
It seems the better...
read more »

jlp
Wednesday, January 26, 2011 5:30 AM
If the serial port selection dialog doesn't appear, it means that the
RXTX library isn't properly installed (I have reproduced the "bug" on
my Linux box to be sure).
The RXTX library relies on a Java library file and one (or two) native
library file which depends on the OS you use. I use to link the Java
part in jrStepGUI but I can't do the same for the native part as it
varies.
I'll try to add a popup to notify the problem to the user but I can't
fix it, as the way to do that depends on the OS.
It seems the better way to install RXTX is the web install:

iklln6

Jan 27, 2011, 7:31:29 PM1/27/11
to rstep
engage

On Jan 27, 3:13 pm, Reza Naima <r...@reza.net> wrote:
> There has to be a better way than to have users install Xcode to get it
> work.  I can help build scripts to do the multiple-architecture
> packaging scripts if that's what we need.
>
> so my big exam is over with and i can start on this project again.  FULL
> SPEED AHEAD!!
>
> -r

> >    iklln6 <mailto:michaeldn...@gmail.com>
> > Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:04 AM
>
> > install xcode

> >    coffee4us <mailto:davechan1...@gmail.com>
> > Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:37 PM
>
> > jrstepgui is in the same directory as RXTXcomm.jar and
> > librxtxSerial.jnilib.

> >    iklln6 <mailto:michaeldn...@gmail.com>
> > Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:33 PM
>
> > where is jrstepgui?

> >    coffee4us <mailto:davechan1...@gmail.com>
>
> read more »

jlp

Jan 28, 2011, 12:22:30 PM1/28/11
to rstep
I have released a new jrStepGUI binary version (http://code.google.com/
p/rstep/downloads/detail?name=jrStepGUI_110128.jar) which pops up a
dialog when it is unable to find the RXTX native library.
The dialog shows where Java looks for the library (the
java.library.path property).

It is possible to change the java.library.path (my previous post about
that was wrong):
Download the latest jrStepGUI version and put it in any directory.
Rename the just downloaded file as jrStepGUI.jar.
Create a subdirectory called lib.
Copy the native library (e.g. librxtxSerial.jnilib) in the lib
directory.
Open a shell, go to the directory where you downloaded jrStepGUI and
type:
java -Djava.library.path=lib -jar jrStepGUI.jar

This worked for me under Linux.

If jrStepGUI still pops up an error dialog, take a look to the
displayed java.library.path property value and try to copy the native
library into this path.

jlp

Jan 28, 2011, 12:25:37 PM1/28/11
to rstep

Garrett Mace

Jan 31, 2011, 2:53:51 PM1/31/11
to rs...@googlegroups.com
So I found a new/old Sony CAST-PRO miniature cartesian industrial robot on eBay. Originally used for general purpose automation tasks; PCB testing, glue dispensing, screw installation, etc. Would normally come with a teaching pendant to program in a point sequence, I don't have the pendant of course (or would want it). It's made from a lot of extruded and billet aluminum, weighs about 100 pounds. The linear rails are nice THK guides with recirculating ball bearing blocks. The Z axis only has about 100mm travel but is also an R axis; there are two stepper-driven leadscrew nuts and they rotate both for R and lock one for Z (there's an electric brake).

Anyway, below you can see photos of the machine after I stripped it down enough to pull out the electronics. Basically it looks like everything in the left half of the photo is usable, and everything in the right half is not, except for the power supplies and some switches etc. The second photo is a two-axis stepper driver board made by Sony. Leave it to Sony to design something totally cryptic, full of dozens of 74 series logic, and requiring a 100-pin connector that plugs into a backplane with another driver board and a processor board. Those two big heatsinks are actually STK672-050 stepper drivers, that already include current control, a step sequencer, and configurable microstepping...what's all the rest for?

Well, in any case it looks like the best option is to strip out everything I don't understand and put in my own drivers. Definitely considering rstep...though I need at least 4 axis control and probably will need a fifth later. Right now the code seems locked into 3-axis control, I may try to work on that but not sure if the Arduino hardware is adequate for more than 3-axis control.

Reza Naima

Feb 2, 2011, 1:54:07 PM2/2/11
to rs...@googlegroups.com
cool toy; what did you pay for it?  with the code, it's super easy to add additional axis.  you just need to make a couple arrays go from 3 to 5 and configure the pins/ports to use the extra header.

-r

Garrett Mace
Monday, January 31, 2011 11:53 AM

Reza Naima
Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:13 PM

Garrett Mace

Feb 2, 2011, 2:11:13 PM2/2/11
to rs...@googlegroups.com
It was $375 cash; I bought it from a guy living on top of a mountain near Santa Cruz with a giant shed + four cargo containers full of old computers, and his own airstrip. I said "Nice...." a lot.

Since Monday I was able to trace out the connections needed on the original driver boards. Actually there were two unused sets of pads with step/dir/enable/GND on them...nothing like that for the limit switch and relay controls, but those were pretty easy to track down. Got a motor spinning just fine using an external pulse source, so it looks like the rest of the electronics won't interfere. The motherboard ended up having a 486 DX2-66 running pSOS+ and an Altera FPGA. So really all I need is a gcode interpreter and step generator...going to try the rstep firmware in the next day or two.

Glad to hear it's not too bad to add more axes. I haven't looked at the interpolation code, it's a general solution for N axis motion?

On 2/2/2011 10:54 AM, Reza Naima wrote:
[...]

Reza Naima

Feb 2, 2011, 2:19:59 PM2/2/11
to rs...@googlegroups.com
yeah.  the code basically calculates the time to the next step for an array of axis and then waits that period of time before stepping. -r

Garrett Mace
Wednesday, February 02, 2011 11:11 AM

[...]

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 10:54 AM