Hi!

Ross

Jan 21, 2011, 1:26:43 AM1/21/11
to rstep
Hi,

I'm a Software Dev out in CO and am working on putting together my own
little ACAP (as cheap as possible) CNC setup to mill PCBs etc. I'm
currently debating between the Mantis 9.1 design from the MIT fablab
modded to use a dremel/trim router or buying the plans for a Solsylva
10x9x4. My biggest issue is cost. While I work almost full-time as a
software guy I'm also working on my graduate degree at the same time
so $$ is tight. I have some experience with the arduino, LEDs,
sensors, servos, using an adafruit motorshield combined into small
bots etc so when I started looking into my own CNC setup I looked for
an arduino based solution. Unfortunately, it appears like (this is
just my impression of course and I may be wrong) that almost all the
arduino related to CNC projects are related to the RepRap/Makerbot
community and focus on additive bots and not subtractive ones.
However, amidst all the google'ing I found out about your rstep
project and I am really excited about it. I was curious as to the
current state of the project and when/if boards / kits would be
available for purchase, how much you were thinking of selling them for
etc. Right now, I don't have the ability to make PCBs thought I have
been looking into the toner / transfer method. Or I'd be interested in
knowing part numbers (the wiki has that png
http://reza.net/wiki/images/6/65/RStep_v3_dorkbotbw_thumb.png) that
has sort of a parts list but it be nice to know where to source the
parts if you have to build the PCB yourself. I'd also be interested in
doing like a batch order, so trying to line up 10 people or whatnot to
purchase them from a prototyping shop in china or something. And I
don't know if you've thought about this, but Sparkfun is known for
working with the DIY community and commercializing shields etc... I
know a guy there that is one of their in-house EE guys that works on
almost all their breakout boards and a bunch of other people that work
there. I'd be willing to help start communication on that end if
you're looking towards sourcing this to the wider arduino community.

Deep breath.

Thanks!

Ross

Reza Naima

Jan 21, 2011, 1:34:04 AM1/21/11
to rs...@googlegroups.com
Ross,

I'm planning on trying to get funding through kickstarter, making another round or two of beta boards then doing a production run.  I have extra PCBs from my last run that I don't expect to populate.  I can mail you one if you like and know how to populate SMD parts.  Email me (re...@reza.net) and we can sort out the details.  In terms of sourcing parts, check out

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Aj4EMp1g20xCdGI4Qjc0SGkyV1N3VDVFU2J4NGxzNnc&hl=en&single=true&gid=3&output=html

It should have a list of part numbers from digikey.

-Reza

Ross
Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:26 PM