OrcaSlicer? OrcaSlicer!

Alan Timm

Jun 9, 2024, 7:15:05 PMJun 9
to RSSC-List
https://github.com/SoftFever/OrcaSlicer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bsEFRemOoE

This is the slicer that I mentioned yesterday.  It's funny to see how quickly a new slicer can take the top spot.  I've been using it since yesterday and almost all of the default settings "just make sense".

They tend to support the newest features before the others and there's alot of buzz and community involvement.

So far so good.  "it just works!"

orcaslicer 2.1 beta.jpg

Chris Albertson

Jun 9, 2024, 7:32:54 PMJun 9
to gestalt73, RSSC-list
I agree.  It works well.  Slicers are not all the same.  Parts sliced with Orca seem to have a slightly different construction than from when I was using Cura.

Then the other change in 3D printing software is Klipper.  There is a lot more you can do with it compared to my old Marlin-based printer.   Replacing the old Marlin controller on the old printer is onmuy list of things to do.

Quite a lt is changing in the 3D printer world.  Multi-material is becoming common and there are a few eddy current bed sensors.

<orcaslicer 2.1 beta.jpg>

<orcaslicer 2.1 beta.jpg>

Alan Timm

Jun 9, 2024, 8:49:33 PMJun 9
to RSSC-List
Yeah, what initially drew me to orcaslicer was a video describing a novel way of adjusting flow for corners and switchbacks that improved surface quality and it was already included in orca.

And what sealed the deal for me was seeing how it runs the fans at 100% on the last support interface layer and the first part layer to make it easier to remove the supports.  genius.

Alan

Carl

Jun 18, 2024, 10:19:16 PMJun 18
to RSSC-List

Nathaniel Lewis

Jun 19, 2024, 10:29:15 AMJun 19
to RSSC-list
Interesting that it's forked from Bambu Studio (which itself is a fork of Prusa Slicer).

- Nathan

Chris Albertson

Jun 21, 2024, 9:43:56 PMJun 21
to Nathaniel Lewis, RSSC-list
GitHub makes creating a fork easy.  All it takes is a single button click.    Then of course it is up to you to write the code to make your fork different from the original.       But remember a “fork” is not a “copy", they are still linked and changes can be moved from the origin to and from the fork.

Because it is so easy to do, we see a lot of it.  If you have a good idea for a change, just do it and if people like you change you have an audience

Git is the second creation from Linus Torvalds that has revolutionized software engineering.