Slow test suite

Carl Q

Apr 5, 2023, 6:20:34 AM4/5/23
to rspec
Hi,

recently I found out my test suite was slow/painfull to run and find out that my colleagues run the same suite in 6min vs 20min for myself.
We both have same kind of Mac computers (ARM chip), and I'm looking for tips on what/where to look for speeding up my test suite.

I couldn't find any thing that could impact as much the suite duration.
I have already re-install Ruby/Postgres.

If you have any idea, let me know.

Config: ruby 3.03, Rails 7.0.2.3, rspec 3.11.0, pg 1.4.5

Jon Rowe

Apr 5, 2023, 6:23:00 AM4/5/23
to Zach Hamman
A general peice of advise for ARM is to make sure you’ve built / installed builds for ARM and aren’t accidentally using Rosetta, particularly if your install is “older” you might find you’re using homebrew in rosetta mode.

Cheers
Jon

Carl Q

Apr 5, 2023, 8:48:41 AM4/5/23
to rspec

Thanks Jon,

Yes I though it was the problem and that's why I re-installed ruby / postgres (and removed `intel` homebrew).
Now they all run on ARM, but the specs still takes a lot of time. I have a feeling that it's Postgres that is slow but don't know how to measure/debug/optimize that.

Cheers

Phil Pirozhkov

Apr 5, 2023, 4:15:50 PM4/5/23
to rs...@googlegroups.com
specs still takes a lot of time. I have a feeling that it's Postgres that is slow but don't know how to measure/debug/optimize that.

Carl Q

Apr 6, 2023, 4:57:16 AM4/6/23
to rspec
Thanks for this ressource, it looks like my Factories are a total mess :)