climate change communication resources

Glenn Hampson

Feb 16, 2018, 3:11:24 PM2/16/18
to James Gover, SCI...@listserv.nsf.gov, rsc...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jim,

Following up on your question from last Friday, here are a few climate change communication resources that may be helpful. This isn’t an exhaustive list by any means---maybe others can add on here:

  • George Mason University Center for Climate Change Communication (https://www.climatechangecommunication.org/). “Our mission is to develop and apply social science insights to help society make informed decisions that will stabilize the earth’s life-sustaining climate, and prevent further harm from climate change. To achieve this goal, our center engages in three broad activities: we conduct unbiased communication research; we help government agencies, civic organizations, professional associations, and companies apply social science research to improve their public engagement initiatives; and we train students and professionals with the knowledge and skills necessary to improve public engagement with climate change.”
  • Yale Program on Climate Change Communication (http://climatecommunication.yale.edu/). “We are social scientists studying the causes and consequences of public opinion and behavior. We help governments, media, companies, and advocates communicate more effectively. And we publish an online climate news service and daily national radio program, Yale Climate Connections.”
  • Climate Communication Science & Outreach (http://climatecommunication.org). “Climate Communication is a non-profit science and outreach project supported by a grant from the Rockefeller Brothers Fund. Climate Communication operates as a project of the Aspen Global Change Institute, a non-profit organization dedicated to furthering the scientific understanding of Earth systems and global environmental change.
  • National Park Service Climate Change Interpretation and Education Strategy (https://www.nps.gov/subjects/climatechange/nccies.htm). “The 2016 National Climate Change Interpretation and Education Strategy [6.5 MB PDF] advances four broad goals and supporting actions as a systematic approach for communicating about the science and impacts of climate change across the National Park System. The strategy aims to help parks engage in place-based climate change programming that encourages park staff and visitors to discover personal relevance to climate change and share those connections broadly with others. To support these efforts, the Climate Change Communication Toolkit (3CT) has been developed as an online companion to the strategy, supporting interpretation and education personnel with resources that facilitate the inclusion of climate change topics in programming. The 3CT is organized across five broad topics that provide resources designed to help communicators make their messages both relevant and local.”
  • Columbia University Center for Research on Environmental Decisions (http://guide.cred.columbia.edu/). In 2009, CRED published “The Psychology of Climate Change Communication”: http://guide.cred.columbia.edu/pdfs/CREDguide_full-res.pdf. This guide “powerfully details many of the biases and barriers to scientific  communication and information processing. It offers a tool—in combination with rigorous science, innovative engineering, and effective policy design—to help our societies take the pivotal actions needed to respond with urgency and accuracy to  one of the greatest challenges ever faced by humanity: global-scale, human-induced  environmental threats, of which the most complex and far reaching is climate change.”
  • NOAA’s climate.gov website (https://www.climate.gov/). “NOAA Climate.gov provides science and information for a climate-smart nation. Americans’ health, security, and economic well-being are closely linked to climate and weather. People want and need information to help them make decisions on how to manage climate-related risks and opportunities they face. NOAA Climate.gov is a source of timely and authoritative scientific data and information about climate. Our goals are to promote public understanding of climate science and climate-related events, to make our data products and services easy to access and use, to provide climate-related support to the private sector and the Nation’s economy, and to serve people making climate-related decisions with tools and resources that help them answer specific questions.”
  • AAAS “What We Know” program (http://whatweknow.aaas.org/). “The What We Know initiative is dedicated to ensuring that three “R’s” of climate change communicated to the public. The first is Reality — about 97% of climate experts have concluded that human-caused climate change is happening. The second is Risk — that the reality of climate change means that there are climate change impacts we can expect, but we also must consider what might happen, especially the small, but real, chance that we may face abrupt changes with massively disruptive impacts. The third R is Response — that there is much we can do and that the sooner we respond, the better off we will be.”

I hope you are be able to find some resources on these websites that will help. I don’t have an exhaustive list of specific resources created by government agencies to empower the STEM community on this issue, as you asked, but:

Best regards,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director
Science Communication Institute (SCI)
Program Director
Open Scholarship Initiative (OSI)

osi-logo-2016-25-mail

2320 N 137th Street | Seattle, WA 98133
(206) 417-3607 | gham...@nationalscience.org | nationalscience.org

Feb 17, 2018, 2:05:35 PM2/17/18
to rsc...@googlegroups.com

This is a really great list. Thanks David! I’m pasting it below:

  1. Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness Network (CLEAN): http://cleanet.org/
  2. US Global Change Research Program "Resources for Educators”: http://www.globalchange.gov/browse/educators
  3. NOAA's "Teaching Climate”: https://www.climate.gov/teaching
  4. "Going Green! - Middle Schoolers Out to Save the World" is funded by NSF: https://msosw.wikispaces.com/
  5. NASA's "Global Climate Change - Vital Signs of the Planet": https://climate.nasa.gov/resources/education/
  6. The National Ocean Service's "Talking to Children about Climate Change”: http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/climate-stewards/talking-about.html
  8. "Climate Change Live" with many federal "partners”: https://climatechangelive.org/index.php
  9. NASA's "Climate Kids”: https://climatekids.nasa.gov/menu/teach/
  12. "Climate Change Education" by Stanford's School of Earth, Energy & Environmental Sciences, funded by NASA: https://pangea.stanford.edu/programs/outreach/climatechange/
  14. "TEACHER RESOURCES" from the Alliance for Climate Education, includes OSTP, NOAA and EPA as "Partners”: https://acespace.org/teachers/resources
  15. "Climate Change and Human Health Lesson Plans" by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, NIH: https://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/scied/teachers/cchh/
  16. "Climate Change 101" (video) with Bill Nye | National Geographic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtW2rrLHs08
  17. "There is no Planet B" by Teach Climate Change: http://teachclimatechange.org/
  18. "Classroom Resources" from the National Center for Science Education: https://ncse.com/classroom-resources
  19. "Climate Science Resources" from the National Science Teachers Association: http://www.nsta.org/climate/
  20. "Climate Change" from Practical Action: https://practicalaction.org/climate-change-resources
  21. "Climate Change Resources" from the National Wildlife Federation: https://www.nwf.org/Eco-Schools-USA/Become-an-Eco-School/Pathways/Climate-Change/Resources.aspx
  22. "Cornell Climate Change" from Cornell (sponsors unknown): http://climatechange.cornell.edu/tools-resources/youth-education/
  23. "Teaching About Climate Change With The New York Times" by The Learning Network: https://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/02/teaching-about-climate-change-with-the-new-york-times/comment-page-1/?_r=0
  24. "Climate Change - Student Resources" from Lehigh University's Environmental Initiative: http://www.ei.lehigh.edu/learners/cc/
  25. "Climate Change Education: Essential Information for Educators" from the National Education Association: http://www.nea.org/home/65564.htm
  26. "Climate Change" from the University of California, Berkeley's Global Systems Science: http://www.globalsystemsscience.org/studentbooks/cc
  27. "Climate Change" by KQED Science: https://ww2.kqed.org/quest/tag/climate-change/
  28. "Activities for Responding to global climate change" by the Nuffield Foundation: http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/science-society/activities-responding-global-climate-change
  29. "Climate Change" from BP Educational Service (an oil company!): http://bpes.bp.com/collection/climate-change
  30. "Climate Change Lesson Plans: Exploring the Evidence" by Michigan State's W. K. Kellogg Biological Station: https://www.kbs.msu.edu/2017/02/climate-plans-k-12/
  31. "Educators' Resource Corner: Climate Change" from the Wisconsin Center for Environmental Education: http://eeinwisconsin.org/resource/about.aspx?s=93380.0.0.2209
  32. "Education Resources" from Southern Oregon Climate Action Now: http://socan.info/education-resources/
  33. Climate Change Education.Org -- web portal: http://www.climatechangeeducation.org/

I wish I could return the favor here but all I have is a book I ran across on Amazon yesterday---Naomi Kline’s 2015 This Changes Everything: http://amzn.to/2o57fcY. It sounds like she’s kind of hard on both sides---Time magazine called it the “first truly honest book ever written about climate change.” Have you read this? I think I’ll give it a look.

Best,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director
Science Communication Institute (SCI)
Program Director
Open Scholarship Initiative (OSI)

osi-logo-2016-25-mail

2320 N 137th Street | Seattle, WA 98133
(206) 417-3607 | gham...@nationalscience.org | nationalscience.org

Feb 17, 2018, 2:44:21 PM2/17/18
to SCI...@listserv.nsf.gov, rsc...@googlegroups.com

Okay---good to know (I haven’t read it). In that case I got nuthin’---sorry. I do want to learn more about the “resistance” philosophy though---if not from this book then someplace. Is it all premised on (1) the science is wrong, and therefore (2) the policy solutions are wrong? Or is there something more fundamental and/or nuanced here? Can you help us out? Maybe in your own words?

Best,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director
Science Communication Institute (SCI)
Program Director
Open Scholarship Initiative (OSI)

osi-logo-2016-25-mail

2320 N 137th Street | Seattle, WA 98133
(206) 417-3607 | gham...@nationalscience.org | nationalscience.org

      Feb 19, 2018, 7:34:44 PM2/19/18
      to Klein, Peter, rsc...@googlegroups.com, Russell Thomas, Christopher Hill, msha...@iit.edu, Fiore, Steve

      Hi Peter,

      About a third of the good folks on the RSComm list pull double-duty debating scholarly communications issues on the OSI list---they’re familiar with these long conversations! (maybe tired of them too, though 😊).

      I understand and for the most part agree with you when it comes to social science research. Indeed, there are a good many people on these lists who would posit that “social science” is the oxymoron---it’s almost impossible to disentangle confirmation bias from this kind of research, despite our best effort to be “scientific.”

      But I disagree with you that this is even a remote issue in most of the physical sciences (including climate research). This isn’t to suggest at all that the physical sciences are “settled”: different experiments can yield different outcomes, different explanations will be put forward and tested to explain these outcomes, and so on. Importantly, though, these studies are meticulously designed to filter out influences---environmental, mechanical, observational, statistical, etc. The only bias in a physicist’s attempt to precisely measure the speed of light comes from equipment and study design flaws. If there are no flaws and the value measured is unexpected, and this result is replicable and can’t be explained away, she will use science to arrive at an explanation for why, not twist her numbers into an expected value through confirmation bias.

      After a time, the weight of evidence created in science does indeed create “fact” for all intents and purposes. Yes---in principle this evidence is always subject to challenge, but there is nothing “more or less” or “tentative” about this. This is knowledge---not iffy or squishy or suspect, but fact: gravity, evolution, the speed of light in a vacuum---hard, measurable, explainable, physical attributes of the world in which we live.

      I’m not saying that uncertainly doesn’t exist in some settings, or that results can’t be influenced by funder expectations, that researchers don’t p-hack to make their results more publishable, and so on. And I realize that in your line of work, you’ve no doubt seen many instances of influence that have shaped your views of science and science policy. But to me anyway, the question with regard to climate change research---the one I’m trying to understand here (and sorry for my density)---is whether the good folks on this list who are skeptical of climate science are skeptical because they think the body of evidence from this research is fatally flawed. Is this the case? And if so, I think it would help the “other side” in this conversation to understand exactly where they think this research went off the rails---not in general terms that science can be influenced so therefore science can’t be trusted, but specifically, which studies do they think are wrong and why? Or is something else at work here?

      Thanks for continuing this thread---hopefully it’s worth the effort.

[...]

      <image001.jpg>

      <image001.jpg>

      N. Peter Whitehead, PhD, (ME)2

      image001.jpg