FW: another reply

Glenn Hampson

Feb 13, 2018, 12:49:16 PM2/13/18
to rsc...@googlegroups.com

From: Glenn Hampson [mailto:gham...@nationalscience.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 9:47 AM
To: 'SCI...@LISTSERV.NSF.GOV' <SCI...@LISTSERV.NSF.GOV>
Subject: another reply

Hi David,

(I’m hoping this email gets through---I just got another bounce message.) I agree with Matt. You can’t just lob out smoke bombs like this and then retreat for lack of time! Please do provide some references. Science and the public deserve an honest debate of facts and perspectives---on that much we totally agree and I appreciate your skepticism. But here’s what you’re alleging, which needs substantiation:

  • Half the US population skeptical of climate change. Evidence to the contrary is in 2016 polls from Gallup, Pew and Yale----http://bit.ly/2nXmR2f, http://pewrsr.ch/2dOkYCe and http://bit.ly/2tG8uTT).
  • The reason “why a large majority of academic scientists believe in human caused climate change,” is that “they fall into the Liberal Democrat category. That academics are overwhelmingly liberal is well established. I have seen polls suggesting that the fraction is over 90%.”  A Pew research poll from 2010 put this number at 55-81 percent, depending on hard affiliation or “leans toward.” But let’s say 90 percent is correct for the sake of argument. I’ll even give you 100 percent. Are you saying the research work of these scientists is biased because of their political affiliation? Let me throw you a lifeline here: I do think there’s research suggesting there may be bias in some social science fields but I’m not aware of any research alleging bias in the natural sciences (or climate research specifically). And there was a Cato study done about eight years ago suggesting a publication bias in climate research---that studies concluding climate change will be “worse than expected” are more likely to get published. But I’m not aware of any research that supports your bias charge. References please.
  • “There are polls suggesting that the majority of working meteorologists do not accept the so-called ‘consensus’ view.” I assume you are referring here to the 2009 survey of members of the American Meteorological Society (AMS). Here’s what the Guardian said about the Heartland Institute’s take on this survey: “Predictably, many climate contrarians have already misrepresented this paper. In fact, the Heartland Institute (of Unabomber billboard infamy) misrepresented the study so badly (and arguably impersonated the AMS in a mass emailing), the AMS executive director (who is a co-author of the paper) took the unusual step of issuing a public reprimand against their behavior.” The article goes on to explain that only 13 percent of AMS members are actual climate experts. Among the AMS members who have actually published climate research, 93 percent agree with the scientific consensus that humans are causing global warming. Among the most important reasons for dissent among non-expert AMS members was their political ideology.
  • And finally, you write “I am not sure why you think climate scientists would know more about what the basic scientific arguments are then I do, given that argument is my field, not theirs. I know a great deal less about climate models, or hurricanes, or temperature statistical models, or radiation physics, etc., than the various experts in those things, but I know a great deal more about the logic of science. It is also worth pointing out that the scientific issues are so varied that everyone is a novice in most of it. In that sense there is no such thing as a climate scientist.” To this David, I say bravo. The world needs people like you who are excited by science and believe---rightly I think---that science belongs to the world and not to the priesthood of academia. That said, when we’re debating issues like this, outside the channels of peer review like we are, then it’s important for policymakers to recognize the difference between actual science and citizen science. You and I are solidly in the latter camp on this issue. You have a right to contribute to this conversation, but when you’re referenced by the Heartland Institute as an actual climate scientist (and yes, there is such a thing), you do damage to the legitimate scientific discourse that needs to happen on this issue. Still, I say, carry on---but please, in service to science, consider doing it through science channels so your work can be properly critiqued before it gets intertwined with the public (and political) debate.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director
Science Communication Institute (SCI)
Program Director
Open Scholarship Initiative (OSI)

osi-logo-2016-25-mail

2320 N 137th Street | Seattle, WA 98133
(206) 417-3607 | gham...@nationalscience.org | nationalscience.org

From: "Glenn Hampson" <gham...@nationalscience.org>
Date: February 12, 2018 11:05:48 PM EST
To: "'David Wojick'" <dwo...@CRAIGELLACHIE.US>

Hi David,

Would you mind forwarding this email to the SciSP list? I don’t think it went through yesterday (it got to you, I hope, and I know it made it through to the rscomm listserv); three of my email replies are hung up somewhere in the SciSP system.

Many thanks,

Glenn