big finish

Glenn Hampson

Feb 18, 2018, 7:02:33 PM2/18/18
to Matthew Shapiro, SCI...@listserv.nsf.gov, rsc...@googlegroups.com

Hi Matt,

A few of us have been continuing this thread on rscomm list, but I wanted to share this thought with you here as kind of a summary for me since I promised Monday as a stopping point. I’m having a hard time keeping track of reality here---some of these perspectives make my head spin. They aren’t wrong, just different. They do seem to follow a polarized pattern, though, of throwing the baby out with the bathwater: some science is flawed and therefore all science is flawed; some facts are unsettled so all facts are unsettled; some policy proposals are too draconian so all policy proposals are too draconian. And importantly, this perspective works both ways: some skeptics are nuts so all skeptics are nuts.

So, I’ve tried to map out this issue space, and the perspectives I’ve heard here, on the rscomm list, and off-list seem to fall into three main categories: true believers, ardent skeptics, and the curious middle. It’s this latter group that I think deserves the real attention. They’re the ones who are still wrestling with this issue and upon whom the responsibility of acting or not acting rests, because they are the intellectual tether for the ardent skeptics. This curious middle group seems to be comprised of maybe at least five distinct subgroups:

  • POLICY SKEPTICS: The science is probably firm enough to act upon. What actions to take, though, remain an important question.
  • SCIENCE SKEPTICS: The current science isn’t correct for whatever reason---paradigm capture, internal bias, etc. We don’t have the right science yet to develop policy action, so we should err on the side of opposing any policy action at this juncture.
  • WAIT & SEE: The science is inconclusive---we shouldn’t do anything yet
  • BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY: The science is inconclusive but if we’re wrong, we’re screwed. Therefore, we should at least start thinking in terms of what we’re going to do.
  • WHAT, ME WORRY?: The science is inconclusive, the situation is not dire, and doing anything is a waste of time and money, so it’s best to actively oppose policy efforts.

Does this look about right to you?

I think it’s important to make these distinctions because each of these middle groups has unique and valid viewpoints, be they grounded in concerns about the conduct of science, the firmness of facts on this issue, the formulation of policy, or in rarer cases (at least on this list) an understanding of the science itself. Discussing the perspectives of each of these groups---but particularly within the context of climate science---might be an interesting way forward.

But alas, we can’t do this here 😊.  I don’t even know if we can do this on the rscomm list. Email isn’t a good tool for complicated conversations, and listservs are self-limiting---you often only hear from the extremes, while the middle gets swamped with emails and/or really doesn’t (justifiably) want to paint a target on their back (or their institution’s back). We’re launching the RSComm website within the next few months. Maybe we’ll set up a corner of this site just for this topic. Who knows---maybe even a conference….

Submitted for what it’s worth.

Best regards,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director
Science Communication Institute (SCI)
Program Director
Open Scholarship Initiative (OSI)

osi-logo-2016-25-mail

2320 N 137th Street | Seattle, WA 98133
(206) 417-3607 | gham...@nationalscience.org | nationalscience.org

Feb 18, 2018, 11:13:24 PM2/18/18
to SCI...@listserv.nsf.gov, rsc...@googlegroups.com

Begging your forgiveness and indulgence----trying to get this homework turned in before the clock strikes midnight. Pasted below (and also attached) is a revised version of the graphic from the previous email. Thanks to Kate Saylor for pointing out that the axes in the original rendition could use a little clarification---hope this helps.

Best,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director