Latest WBL-Shot = WBL: Digital Portfolios, Digital Courses or Digital Postboxes?

Derrin Kent

Apr 5, 2010, 10:11:28 PM4/5/10
to Mike Askew, Mike Smith, Kim Cook HWSTPA, Chris Luty, Anne Pilsworth, enq...@gordonfrankstraining.co.uk, Dermott Cooney, Craig Marshal DCTPN, Paul Richards, Sally Lucas, Janice Powell, Graham Cowan, Stan Unwin, Theresa Welch (JISC), Brace, Kevin, M Sepion (RSC), Lyn Bender, Ben Williams, rsc...@googlegroups.com
Please spread the word around your networks and encourage colleagues to "Post a Reply..." for the Latest WBL-Shot:

WBL: Portfolios, Courses or Postboxes?

The question Derrin asks is:

"What's wrong with doing e-Portfolios for WBL in the same way as we used to do Paper-Based Portfolios?"

Derrin Kent
Managing Director

office +44 (0)1299 405719
mobile +44 (0)7792 569415
email der...@tdm.info
www http://tdm.info

Improving Learning and Business with Open Source

Be green, keep it on the screen - consider the environment before printing this email

The Development Manager Ltd (trading as TDM) is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number: 6337543, Registered office: Foxmead House, Callow Hill, Rock, Kidderminster, Worcestershire, DY14 9XW.

This e-mail (which includes any files transmitted with it) is intended for the above named only. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and confirm that all copies have been deleted from your computer system. This e-mail is protected by copyright. Unless you are the intended recipient you should not use, disclose or copy the e-mail nor should you rely upon it in any way whatsoever. All liability for viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of The Development Manager Ltd.

Ray Tolley

Apr 10, 2010, 1:01:33 PM4/10/10
to rsc...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Derrin,

My instinctive reaction to your question is “Nothing at all !”  As I have posted for the last three years, I think that the e-Portfolio is ideal for WBL for several reasons.  Certainly it can replicate traditional paper-based portfolios – if that’s all you want.  I presented my first portfolio in 1958 and see many similarities, measure of progress, evidence of variety of skills, reflection, testimony from others, suggestions for future progress etc.

However, if I stop and put the brakes on for a minute, I might say “What? The SAME way? NEVER !!!”  The e-Portfolio has so much more power for peer-review and mentoring, through rich media comments, polls, surveys or Likart Scales etc and thus providing formative feedback, never mind multiple concurrent access by interview panel members etc or using common artefacts within different ‘personas’ of the same e-Portfolio.

However, I’m not sure whether Open Source Software is necessarily the right solution for all adults or even supported OSS ?  Somewhere along the line support needs to be provided, either within staff/development costs or support provided by the vendor.  I prefer to provide a product which tries to avoid any additional workload by tutors and in fact by appropriate scaffolding reduces induction costs. – But that’s another story!

BW

Ray Tolley  FEIDCT, NAACE Fellow, ACQI, MBILD

ICT Education Consultant

Maximise ICT Ltd

P:  http://raytolley.v2efolioworld.mnscu.edu/

B:  http://www.efoliointheuk.blogspot.com/

W:  http://www.maximise-ict.co.uk/eFolio-01.htm

T:    http://twitter.com/efolio

Winner of the IMS 'Leadership Regional Award 2009'

derri...@googlemail.com

Apr 14, 2010, 7:07:03 PM4/14/10
to Midlands Eportfolio Group
Thanks for responding, Ray,

I am picking up my spirits a bit more recently as I am talking to more
and more WBL providers who see the benefits of "paper-behind glass"
and "portfolio-based learning".

We do still need to remind some people out there that as an
educational provider, we have a RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that learning
happens.... not just a responsibility to assess already existing
competencies. This is why a reflective ePortfolio like Mahara makes
more sense than a simple assessment tracker.

And... in a paper-based world, we decided that a portfolio-based
evaluation process was a better process for Work-Based Learning
facilitation than was a classroom based course with lots of tutor
presentation and lots of tests. And that is why Mahara makes more
sense for WBL than Moodle. I am not saying we don't need Moodle, I
am saying we need oth, but, in the WBL context, the Moode platform is
actually of secondary importance to the Mahara platform.

I also agree fully with your point, ray, that we can and should extend
our e-portfolio platforms with features we might associate with a more
interactive Personalised Learning Environment (PLE). For more of my
thoughts on this, check out my MoodleMoot UK 2010 Presentation
available for viewng and download here: http://www.slideshare.net/tdmslides/presentations

Ref: your comments re: Open Source Software... I am left a bit
confused. There are more reasons to adopt Open Source Software other
than Cost Savings, including:

* Increased security/stability
* Avoid vendor lock-in/being tied to a company
* Easily customised to suit YOUR needs
* Enterprise class software available
* Faster development/ reduced bugs
* YOU can be involved in the development process

Read more here:
1. http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/strategists.xml
2. http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/cio/ict.aspx
3. http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/alexsingleton/8218787/George_Osborne_has_the_solution_to_faulty_Government_IT_procurement/

Ref: avoiding workload by tutors.... I am also confused. I think we
both agree that a good portfolio-based learning tutor will seek to
"mediate" and "scaffold" the growth of the learners they are engaged
with?

Derrin.