New Mahara book out now

kev.brace

Feb 25, 2010, 4:12:30 AM2/25/10
to Midlands Eportfolio Group
Sent to me By Derrin Kent - this week ~

Check out the front page of www.Mahara.org:

Written by Mahara experts - recommended for anyone new to ePortfolios
or new to Mahara

Our new book on Mahara:
http://www.packtpub.com/mahara-1-2-e-portfolios-beginners-guide/book
(just out!) gives a quick introduction to Mahara-style, candidate-led
(not assessor-led) NVQ delivery (via a case study of a WBL Trainer /
Assessor called "Neil" who works for a WBL Provider called
"Training4Work"). We also exemplify delivery of personalised
learning in both a primary school and a corporate university - both of
whom could make good use of Mahara.

The book is very much a technical manual, is pitched at the absolute
beginner and has already received some great reviews:
http://www.moodleblog.org/?p=184
http://danmarsden.com/blog/2010/02/18/new-mahara-book/

Also.... TDM are now running an adaptation of Mahara (using Moodle and
a special patch see here and here ) which allows training providers
(colleges or independent) of Evidence-Based Qualifications to create
NVQ/QCF (or similar) template "pages" into which candidates can:
• submit evidence for QCF units (of NVQs)
• creatively add even more content (video, audio, graphics,
hyperlinks, feeds, text) to those "pages" in order to "show off" their
extended and reflective learning
• submit those pages for recording of outcomes in Moodle's gradebook
• make that gradebook and those pages available for uncomplicated
assessment by an assessor, internal or external verifier
• ....and most importantly of all.... they and you can form "walled
garden" communities of practice with other trainers, learners,
employers, etc. who care about the same topic areas.
It is great, really great , it is free of cost for anyone who has the
skill to implement it..... and we (and other Mahara partners:
http://mahara.org/partners ) offer very reasonably-priced, zero
vendor lock-in support services (hosting, configuration, end-user
training, consultancy, etc.) for those who don't.

TDM can configure your bespoke-branded online learning environment for
the blended delivery of any particular qualification or qualification
unit.... and give context-sensitive (we are WBL provider ourselves) to
the trainer, assessor and verifier staff who you would want to use it.

;-)

Derrin
http://tdm.info
07792 569415