RS-HFIQ stand alone transciever

Donny Baldwin

Jul 18, 2022, 8:49:12 AM7/18/22
to RS-HFIQ Technical Forum
Hi Jim and Group,I would like to experiment with a Weaver ssb circuit and external rotary encoder for frequency selection.Donny N4RDOWeaver_IQ_Mod-Demod_DK7JD.jpg

jcve...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2022, 6:29:12 PM7/18/22
to RS-HFIQ Technical Forum
Hi Donny,

Looks like an interesting circuit. You should be able to remove the Arduino Nano and connect an Arduino Mega using the same pins on the Mega that the Nano used. Then you'll have tons of 'left-over' pins for adding an encoder, a display, band switches, memory functions, a CW keyer; basically anything you can think of.

73,
Jim WA2EUJ

jcve...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2022, 6:34:06 PM7/18/22
to RS-HFIQ Technical Forum
Actually looking at the circuit, you could program the AUX out on the RS-HFIQ to make a 6.k KHz (1.5 X 4) and use a pair of flip-flops to make the 1.5K clock signals that you need for the mixers.

The only issue I see is that the RS-HFIQ has no response at DC so you final passband will have a notch right in the middle of it.

73,
Jim WA2EUJ

Donny Baldwin

Jul 18, 2022, 7:07:10 PM7/18/22
to RS-HFIQ Technical Forum
Jim,thanks for the tips.Don't know if you have read this the following article it explains the notch you mentioned.Donny N4RDO.http://www.hanssummers.com/weaver.html

jcve...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2022, 9:21:00 PM7/18/22
to RS-HFIQ Technical Forum
Hi Donny,

I completely agree that the notch won't be a problem for voice but it may cause trouble with data modes. Also, you are going to need some form of gain control even if it's just a manual system. Signals form S0 to S9 represent a 54 dB range which is probably more than a simple volume control pot can handle.

73,
Jim WA2EUJ