RS-HFIQ with modified case/fan - $100 shipped

Rob French (Scrape)

Apr 12, 2023, 8:36:36 PM4/12/23
to RS-HFIQ Technical Forum
Hey guys,

I've got an RS-HFIQ with case that I will sell and ship for $100.  Does not include a power supply.

Case has been modified with holes on top and bottom to provide cooling airflow (I used it almost exclusively for high duty digimodes), and I replaced the lower heatsink with aluminum standoffs that screw directly to the case for better heat transfer.  There's also a fan inside the top half of the case, to pull the air thru better.

This did take some damage at one point through (I think) a static or nearby lightning strike.  I ended up replacing the final transistor (as well as the soundcard on my computer!).  After the repair, the radio continued working and I made many additional digimode contacts.  The only apparent issue that I observed subsequently was that at the leading edge of a pulse (CW) or digital transmission, there would be a brief illumination of the CLIP LED, and a corresponding spike on my power meter.  However, during the steady state power transmission of 5W, this would not occur--only at the leading edge.  I've not been able to track that down further.

I'll provide photos of the case and fan modification if I get some interest.  Thanks for checking it out!

Regards,
Rob KC4UPR

Rob French (Scrape)

Apr 13, 2023, 10:18:29 PM4/13/23
to RS-HFIQ Technical Forum
Here's the album with pictures:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/jQEgm2AfPbVNA3ZCA

Reminder, it's just the RS-HFIQ that I'm selling!