100mW in TX mode

ON1OD

Dec 13, 2020, 6:23:00 AM12/13/20
to RS-HFIQ Technical Forum
Hello
The transmitter delivers only 100mW. The first idea is to check the power transistor. Is there a simple procedure to do so?
Regards.
Oliver

Björn

Dec 13, 2020, 6:53:54 AM12/13/20
to RS-HFIQ Technical Forum
Had a similar problem a while ago.
I finally realized the RS-HFIQ really need 14.4V and when I fed my board with 12V I got no output power.
I did'nt realize this without first buying new power transistors and eventually set up a simple gain measure setup to se that the transistors behaved correctly (at DC anyway)

Check your voltage to see your are at least near 14V as a first step is my recommendation.

ON1OD

Dec 14, 2020, 3:45:14 AM12/14/20
to RS-HFIQ Technical Forum
Hello Bjorn
The voltage was only 13V. I have to calibrate the power supply first.

all...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2020, 8:37:37 AM12/14/20
to RS-HFIQ Technical Forum
A quick check on the health of the RF PA can be done by measuring the total current draw of the radio first, then unplugging the USB and checking it again. The radio is designed to apply transmit bias when USB is not connected so the total current draw should increase by at least 100 milliamps when you unplug USB. If current does not increase dramatically when USB is unplugged then it is a good bet the PA is bad or the bias is misadjusted. Both conditions will limit the power out of the radio. CAUTION: Do not leave the radio powered up with USB unplugged as it will overheat.

WA8TOD

ON1OD

Dec 15, 2020, 11:52:18 AM12/15/20
to RS-HFIQ Technical Forum
Thanks.
I will do it and follow up. Any case, I will not make a repair. Maybe it's time to build my own.
Regards