ParallelR speed enhancement under Windows OS

Paolo Cavatore

Nov 12, 2014, 5:34:18 PM11/12/14
to rro...@googlegroups.com

Why should I use ParallelR when RRO is already leveraging the multi-core processing? Would I still get relevant speed increase by using ParallelR over RRO under Windows OS?

David Smith

Nov 12, 2014, 6:17:05 PM11/12/14
to Paolo Cavatore, rropen
Only certain R functions take advantage of the multi-core capabilities of multi-threaded libraries. Using ParallelR is a way to take advantage of multiple cores for everything else (as long as you can express the problem as a loop). The "birthday" example from the webinar today is a good example: even though it was running on RRO, you still got a performance improvement by running the loop through foreach/doMC.

# David Smith

--
David M Smith <da...@revolutionanalytics.com>
Chief Community Officer, Revolution Analytics  http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Paolo Cavatore <pcav...@gmail.com> wrote:

Why should I use ParallelR when RRO is already leveraging the multi-core processing? Would I still get relevant speed increase by using ParallelR over RRO under Windows OS?

Revolution R Plus

Subscribe to Technical Support & Indemnification for R