Installing Microsoft R Open on Ubuntu 15.04 alongside Cran R

Luca Cerone

Feb 20, 2016, 2:41:15 AM2/20/16
to Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Open
Dear all,
to install MRO side my CRAN R. I find the instructions not entirely clear, so I would like some help since I use R for work and don't want to mess with my current setup.

First of all I have no "alternatives" command in my Ubuntu machine, are you sure in Ubuntu the command is not the update-alternatives?
(all my searches for "alternatives command not found Ubuntu" point to update-alternatives...)
Otherwise how can I install it? Also just a quick feedback for who writes the documentation: if you have a link called "Examples" I don't expect to be redirected to the
man page of the command :)

Then in my /usr/bin R is not a symbolic link. What happens if I install MRO? Will the CRAN R be overwritten? and where can I find the cran binary then?

Sorry for the probably silly questions and thanks a lot for the help!

Josée Martens @ Microsoft

Feb 23, 2016, 11:29:50 AM2/23/16
to Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Open
Hello,

Yes, please use `update-alternatives` on Ubuntu. We'll update the documentation.

And, CRAN R 3.2.3 should not be overwritten when you install Microsoft R Open 3.2.3.

Thanks,
Josée

Luca Cerone

Feb 23, 2016, 2:17:59 PM2/23/16