Why would I want to have a personal library?

George Carlisle

Apr 9, 2016, 5:53:56 PM4/9/16
to Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Open
I'm reading the documentations and I was trying to install some of the genetic packages.

but I keep getting this question. Why would I want to have a personal library. I said yes and the installation still failed.

George Carlisle

Apr 9, 2016, 7:44:32 PM4/9/16
to Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Open
I rebooted my machine and had now problems this time. I do have 2 questions:

1. Can you just change the dialog box to say "Where would you like your personal library?"
2. I read that not all of packages may work. Is there a way to filter the versions that will work with MRO? This bring back images of the Windows Stores where Windows 8 apps ran but Windows 8.1 didn't.
3. Is there a way to install al the packages in one go? The Bioconductor stuff I want to explore all those packages. Having to install all those packages individually would be painful...

On Saturday, April 9, 2016 at 5:53:56 PM UTC-4, George Carlisle wrote:
I'm reading the documentations and I was trying to install some of the genetic packages.

adev...@microsoft.com

Apr 11, 2016, 6:54:22 AM4/11/16
to Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Open
1. Creating a personal library

It's not clear to me why R doesn't create your personal library folder, so I suggest you create this manually.

To do this, create a folder C:/Users/<<USERNAME>>/Documents/R/win-library/3.2

(Remember to substitute your own windows user name for <<YOURNAME>>

Then your package installation should work.

2. There is no inherent reason why all packages won't work with R Open.  I know of one or two exceptions where a package did not play well with the Intel MKL, but we try to work with the package authors when we discover issues like this. Bu this is highly exceptional - I literally know only of two cases where this has ever happened.

However, you'll have to modify the code to point to BioConductor:

available.packages(contriburl = contrib.url(BioC))

--

I hope this helps.

Andrie

George Carlisle

Apr 11, 2016, 10:07:20 AM4/11/16
to Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Open
Hi Andrie,

This helps. I'm new R so I'm just want to give feedback as a pure new user. My background is Matlab so I'm excited to see the possibilities here. I like how fast this editor is. I probably won't be using this in Visual Studio though unless something amazing happens.

George

George Carlisle

Apr 11, 2016, 10:25:23 AM4/11/16
to Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Open
Are you guys going to great a group in Yammer?

adev...@microsoft.com

Apr 11, 2016, 10:51:56 AM4/11/16
to Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Open
Hi, George

I don't know your expectation of "something amazing", but the RTVS plugin for visual studio is really something amazing.

You should try it.

Nobody should use the RGui out of choice any more.  Real editors exist. :-)

Andrie