error - Line starting '<html> ...' is malformed!

Pál Jenő

Apr 10, 2016, 2:16:53 PM4/10/16
to Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Open
Hi,

I have recently tried to install packages for Microsoft R Open on multiple machines. I have always got the following error message:

> install.packages("dplyr")
Installing package into ‘/home/paljenczy/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.2’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
Warning: unable to access index for repository https://mran.revolutionanalytics.com/snapshot/2016-01-01/src/contrib:
  Line starting '<html> ...' is malformed!

I have only experienced this error today, I think a week ago everything worked fine on all of my machines. One of them is a server so it does not have to do with my local settings. Do you have a clue why this happens?

Jianyang Zhao

Apr 10, 2016, 2:58:46 PM4/10/16
to Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Open
I have same issue. It looks they updated mran address recently and install.packages() can't handle a redirect. You can install from cran by before they fix this problem

r = getOption("repos")
r["CRAN"] <- "http://cran.r-project.org"
options(repos=r)
install.packages("gmp")

Josée Martens @ Microsoft

Apr 10, 2016, 5:56:58 PM4/10/16
to Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Open
Thank you for your reports. I'll open a ticket with the development team to figure out this issue.

Regards,
Josée Martens

Chris Mosetick

Apr 10, 2016, 7:56:31 PM4/10/16
to Jianyang Zhao, Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Open
It looks mran.revolutionanalytics.com was recently configured to forward to mran.microsoft.com, but the redirect was not timed to coordinate with an actual release of RRO, thus breaking install.packages on all the current Revolution R Open installations.

adev...@microsoft.com

Apr 11, 2016, 10:28:41 AM4/11/16
to Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Open
We have now removed the redirect, so your package download should work again.

Chris Mosetick, thank your for the pointer!

Regards

Andrie

Pál Jenő

Apr 11, 2016, 4:03:01 PM4/11/16