New MS version of RevoMath-3.2.3.exe doesn't install MKL properly

John Carson

Feb 24, 2016, 6:23:33 PM2/24/16
to Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Open
I installed from https://mran.revolutionanalytics.com/install/mro/3.2.3/ MRO-3.2.3-win.exe and RevoMath-3.2.3.exe. Now I get the following error, and knitr DOES NOT work. Please help!!!

library("RevoUtilsMath", lib.loc="c:/Gnu/RRO/library")
Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'RevoUtilsMath', details:
  call: fun(libname, pkgname)
  error: To use RevoUtilsMath you must first install the MKL Math Library.
 Visit http://mran.revolutionanalytics.com/download.
 If you have previously installed the MKL Math Library,
remove it using Add/Remove Programs, then re-install.
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘RevoUtilsMath’

Here is my session info.
sessionInfo()
R version 3.2.3 (2015-12-10)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
Running under: Windows 7 x64 (build 7601) Service Pack 1

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
[2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:

[1] htmltools_0.3   tools_3.2.3     yaml_2.1.13     rmarkdown_0.9.2
[5] knitr_1.12.3    digest_0.6.9

Josée Martens @ Microsoft

Feb 24, 2016, 10:33:32 PM2/24/16
to Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Open

Perhaps another installation of MKL exists on your system.

What is the install path to your 3.2.3 version of the MKL?

Have you installed MKL before?

Did you also install it into the default location AND in C:\Gnu\RRO\library?

Thanks

adev...@microsoft.com

Feb 25, 2016, 4:18:04 AM2/25/16
to Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Open
Hi, John

Thank you for trying MRO with the MKL!

I also encountered this error last week, and despite several uninstall and reinstall cycles, the problem didn't go away.

Eventually, I realised that I had used different install paths for different installs of MRO.  Concretely, I first installed in c:\MRO\... and then in c:\program files\...\MRO\...

Although I uninstalled both MRO and the MKL, I realised that there were some remnants of old files in the old installation directory.

So, I manually deleted these remnants, i.e. I manually deleted the files in both locations.

Then I installed MRO followed by MKL. Since then everything has been working smoothly.

My hunch is that the new MKL installer leaves some traces behind upon uninstall.  I will ask the team to take a look at this.

I hope it works for you!

Andrie

John Carson

Feb 25, 2016, 4:26:10 PM2/25/16
to adev...@microsoft.com, Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Open
Thanks Andrie. As a stopgap I uninstalled MRO and MKL and went back to a standard R 3.2.3 distribution. I will definitely do as you suggest.

I do also have a version of MKL installed with Matlab. But that hasn't interfered in the past, and I don't expect it to in future.

Best wishes,
John

John Carson

Mar 21, 2016, 9:35:13 AM3/21/16
to Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Open
Josee,

I only had it installed in C:\Gnu\RRO\library.

Then I tried uninstalling and manually removing all traces of R and MKL on my system and then re-installing MRO in the default location and re-installing MKL. It didn't work either.

Have you been able to find the problem?

John Carson

Mar 21, 2016, 9:39:18 AM3/21/16
to Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Open
Andrie,

I tried what you suggested, but nothing has worked. Has the MRO team made any further progress on this issue?

Thanks,
John

Josée Martens @ Microsoft

Mar 21, 2016, 8:32:20 PM3/21/16
to Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Open
Hi John,

We haven't had any other recent reports to help us understand better. You downloaded the software after Feb 18, correct?  And you are on Win 7, correct? And you did not get this issue on another machine running Windows 10, is that also correct?

Once I hear back with this information, I will log a ticket with the development team for further investigation.

Thank you,
Josée