Rstudio 0.98.490 blocks Rook applications

Michele

Dec 13, 2013, 7:59:30 AM12/13/13
to rr...@googlegroups.com
Hi there!

Just upgraded to RStudio 0.98 and all my web app don't work any work. I get server "Server started ..." but the browser hangs forever

Example:

s <- Rhttpd$new()
s$start(quiet=TRUE)
s$add(
  app=system.file('exampleApps/helloworld.R',package='Rook'),
  name='hello'
)

s$browse(1)

work for me. However the following does not.

myPort <- 80 # I tried any possible port...
myInterface <- "192.168.16.81"
.Call(tools:::startHTTPD, myInterface, myPort)
unlockBinding("httpdPort", environment(tools:::startDynamicHelp))
assign("httpdPort", myPort, environment(tools:::startDynamicHelp))

s <- Rhttpd$new()
s$listenAddr <- myInterface
s$listenPort <- myPort
s$add(
  app=system.file('exampleApps/helloworld.R',package='Rook'),
  name='hello'
)

s$browse(1)

Still, the configuration seems fine:

Server started on 127.0.0.1:8080
[1] hello http://127.0.0.1:8080/custom/hello

Call browse() with an index number or name to run an application.
It just does not load anything

Michele

Dec 13, 2013, 8:06:15 AM12/13/13
to rr...@googlegroups.com

The ?Rhttp example seems actually to work. (not every time however) RStudio seems to force the application to another port than that one selected by me!

> s <- Rhttpd$new()

> s$add(
+   app=system.file('exampleApps/helloworld.R',package='Rook'),
+   name='hello'
+ )

> s$start(port=8080, quiet=TRUE)

> s$browse(1)
Warning message:
In s$start(port = 8080, quiet = TRUE) :
  RStudio has already started the web server on port 19905

Very annoying and probably is not compatible with the .Call(tools:::startHTTPD, stuff we do to make it listen to the private IP address

Jeffrey Horner

Dec 13, 2013, 8:11:35 AM12/13/13
to rr...@googlegroups.com

Have you been to rstudio support? They do some manipulation under the hoods to get networking right for their server and Rook, so they may have answers.

Michele

Dec 13, 2013, 8:16:49 AM12/13/13
to rr...@googlegroups.com
Hi. You're definitely right. In my StackOverflow question I also mention a link where they say

Localhost URLs (e.g. for Shiny, Rook, or OpenCPU applications) are now automatically proxied back to remote clients on the main server port.

I'll look there as well.
Thanks.

chetm...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2014, 1:00:59 AM9/4/14
to rr...@googlegroups.com
This does not appear to be an issue in RStudio 0.98.994.

--Chet

chetm...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2014, 1:05:57 AM9/4/14
to rr...@googlegroups.com
This does not appear to be an issue in RStudio 0.98.994 or at least my skeleton Rook app is running.