Timeout for stuck rendering?

Fabrice

Nov 19, 2020, 8:10:00 AM11/19/20
to Royal Render Knights Tavern
Hi all,
sometime when a render has issues rendering it get stuck to the machine and block it for nothing during several hours.
Is there a "timeout" parameter somewhere in Royal Render?

Something that would say to a machine :
after x min (or after x times) trying to render a job
you stop trying and render another job.

Thanks for helping,
Fabrice

RR, Schoenberger

Nov 20, 2020, 12:33:43 PM11/20/20
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com

Hi

Yes, there is a job parameter “Max Frame Time” in the rrJob settings, first column.

You might need to press the “Show all” button if it is hidden by default on your site.

regards,
Holger Schönberger

Please use the rrKnights Tavern
or our support system for new questions.

Fabrice

Nov 23, 2020, 6:13:02 AM11/23/20
to Royal Render Knights Tavern
Thanks Holger!
Is there a way to change the default value of this parameter?

And antoher question :
do you what is "Max limits reached"?
The max number of attempts?
(cant find any explanation in the help file...)

Fabrice

RR support, Schoenberger

Nov 23, 2020, 6:50:41 AM11/23/20
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com
Hi

All rrJob settings that you can set in the rrSubmitter can be changed
via rrSubmitter default files.
There is a menu item in the rrSubmitter to change default files via an
UI or via an text editor.
You can set the setting for all jobs, for the current project, user or
machine.

> do you what is "Max limits reached"?
Settings are explained in the rrHelp file section Usage/Submission.
http://www.royalrender.de/help8/index.html?JobRenderSettings.html

I just see that there is an information missing.
If the number of "max settings" is reached, then the job is disabled.
E.g. if a job crashes that many times because your rrClients do not
have enough memory to render the job.
Or if a user sends a job that has often reached the max frame time.
Which should tell the artist that he should optimize the scene to
render within the companies rules for the max frame time. Otherwise an
artist could block the whole farm with a 2000 frame job that renders
20h a frame.

Fabrice

Nov 23, 2020, 7:53:17 AM11/23/20
to Royal Render Knights Tavern
Thanks but I dont see how you can "...set the setting for all jobs, for the current project, user or
machine. "? When I lauch the rrsubmitter I can see the "Max frame time" parameter but the changes I make are not recorded.
FB

RR support, Schoenberger

Nov 23, 2020, 10:32:53 AM11/23/20
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com
Hi

As stated in my last post, there is a menu item in the rrSubmitter to
change default files via an UI or via an text editor.

The menu bar is at the top left of the rrSubmitter interface.
The menu item is called "Default Values".
I recommend to use the UI and not the text editor.
Once you have opened the editor, choose a file on the left side that
you want to change and either edit or create it.
On the right, enable the filer and enter "max".

Fabrice

Nov 24, 2020, 5:59:21 AM11/24/20
to Royal Render Knights Tavern
Ok I found it and it works, thanks.