C4D 2023 and Redshift Mixed Local/Network Install

Joel_Xvivo

Mar 28, 2023, 11:22:55 AM3/28/23
to Royal Render Knights Tavern
Hello,

Up until recently, we've been using a network plugin install of Redshift for our C4D clients (all R25+), referencing the same Redshift core data/plugin that RR utilizes within "render_apps\renderer_exe". This setup loads fine both in the UI and on the farm, but Redshift initialization is painfully slow on artists' machines due to some problem with our network speed/overhead. RR runs in a VM which I'm fairly sure is not ideal but is how it was setup by our IT vendor. In lieu of improving our network situation we're attempting to install Redshift as a local plugin, while keeping RR as a network install within our __inhouse.rrenv for version flexibility among the artists.

The issue that we are now having is that the local Redshift install disables the RR network copy so that clients revert to using their local version which may differ between machines depending on artist jobs/needs. I understand this is to avoid plugin conflicts with C4D versions prior to R22, but seeing as we are using R26+, a mixed local/network Redshift install should be feasible. Still, the cinema4d.rrenv is detecting a local Redshift plugin and disabling the network copy as seen in the render logs (full debug for the test job uploaded):

[If] rrJobRenderer "redshift"  [contains] redshift
    [If] RR_REDSHIFT_NETWORK "1"  [==] 1
RR_REDSHIFT_BASE = "\\ROYALRENDER2\RoyalRender\render_apps\renderer_exe\cinema 4d\win_x64\Redshift_3.5.12"
RR_REDSHIFT_BASE_LOCAL = "C:\RR_localdata\renderer_exe\cinema 4d\win_x64\Redshift_3.5.12"
    "[If]" rrExeVersionMajor "2023"  "[<]" 22
        [Exists] C:\Program Files\Maxon Cinema 4D 2023\plugins\Redshift
RR_REDSHIFT_NETWORK = "0"
[If] RR_REDSHIFT_NETWORK "0"  [==] 1
[If] RR_REDSHIFT_NETWORK "0"  [==] 1
    [Else]
    [If] rrJobRenderer "redshift"  [contains] redshift

Is it the "[If] <rrExeVersionMajor>  [<] 22" line that is not functioning correctly? It seems to me as if there is a Windows batch issue where 2023 is not evaluated as less than 22 and thus the subsequent RR_REDSHIFT_NETWORK=1 lines are not being executed. If this is not the case, we can figure out an alternate method of configuring Redshift and/or improving our network situation.

RR, Schoenberger

Mar 29, 2023, 4:27:29 AM3/29/23
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I see, the issue is that batch files do a string comparison, not a number comparison.

>"[If]" rrExeVersionMajor "2023"  "[<]" 22

The first letters „22“ are larger than „20“.

Just like the name „Joel“ ist listed after „Jim“ because of the second letter.

I will think of a way to change the conditions.

regards,
Holger Schönberger

Please use the rrKnights Tavern
or our support system for new questions.

JoelXvivo

Mar 30, 2023, 9:21:23 AM3/30/23
to Royal Render Knights Tavern
Holger,

I see, that makes sense. We can use a temporary workaround for the time being or at least make sure that the artists workstations are all using the same version.