Disable "Temporal reduction of licenses"

petr.zloty

Feb 14, 2022, 8:04:40 AM2/14/22
to Royal Render Knights Tavern
Hi, is it possible to disable/ignore "Temporal reduction of licenses" behaviour?
(We are on 7.0.37 rrVer 7.0.38)
Or change the time limit from 1 hour to something much smaller?

When a job is assigned to more machines than available licenses, royal recursively blocks (reduce) all licenses until all available licenses are reduced and renders stop (for an hour until release).

RR, Schoenberger

Feb 14, 2022, 8:11:13 AM2/14/22
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I am sorry, but there is no setting to control it.

But if the license was blocked because an artist was using the application, then the artist can return the license via rrControl, tab Global Info.

Does it help in your case?

Or is there an other reason for the issue?

regards,
Holger Schönberger

Please use the rrKnights Tavern
or our support system for new questions.

Petr Zloty

Feb 14, 2022, 9:53:55 AM2/14/22
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com
Thank you,
We hit that issue overnight/weekend render when there were no artists.
Artists send jobs to all groups (more machines than licences) and the result was that the royal killed the jobs/blocked licences very quickly on those machines that were over the licence count limit. E.g. so with 20 licences, we end up rendering on 4 machines (with 16 licences reduced) while we started with 30 machines. So the rest (26 machines was idle).

As a quick workaround (that has to be tested) we limited submissions to the group and purchased additional licences to match the machine count in the group.

Still, it would be nice to be able to adjust that release limit or be able to turn off the feature.

Best regards,
Petr

po 14. 2. 2022 v 14:11 odesílatel RR, Schoenberger <schoen...@royalrender.de> napsal:
--
If you reply, the message is send to the user group which is sufficient and desired.
Replying "in private" prevents other users to see the answers and might not be seen by the single receiver if he has email rules in place.

RR, Schoenberger

Feb 14, 2022, 1:31:53 PM2/14/22
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com

Hi

> Artists send jobs to all groups (more machines than licences)

But that is exactly what the license counter in RR is for.

If you have 1 hundred rrClients, but only 20 Arnold licenses, then RR starts up to 20 Arnold renderings.

In the case that 3 licenses are in use by someone else, then it tries to start 20, but 3 fail.

And you end up with 17 rrClients rendering.

I can only imagine that there was an rrClient that always reports a render license error.

So if RR sends a job to that rrClient, the license fails, RR reduces the license.

RR sends a job again, it fails, RR reduces the license.

And so on.

> release limit or be able to turn off the feature.

The only way to turn off the feature ist o completely turn off the license counter in rrConfig.

Set the number of licenses to unlimited.

It makes no difference if we would disable the reduction only, but keep the license counter.

As I assume one of your rrClients has a license issue.

RR would try to send the job to that machine over and over.

And the job fails over and over.

Until RR marks the whole job as failed.
And you end up with no frames.

petr.zloty

Feb 14, 2022, 2:36:00 PM2/14/22
to Royal Render Knights Tavern
Thank you, that is what we expected and it makes sense. I will take a look to find the faulty client.

Just one more idea: is there an API endpoint for the "Return blocked license now" ? (So we could call it with a script? e.g. when Artist closes Maya session on their machine?)

Best regards,
Petr

RR, Schoenberger

Feb 14, 2022, 3:08:04 PM2/14/22
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com

I am sorry, but it does not exist.

I will log a feature request for it.

PS:

If it is about Arnold licenses, they are for free within Maya UI now.