Retrieve RR client login password

Francois Kruger

Sep 27, 2021, 8:49:29 AM9/27/21
to Royal Render Knights Tavern
We are working on an old pipeline and the user that Royal is using to render is the "royal" user. But is there any way I can find what that user's password is?

Also, where does this username+password get stored for Royal to know how to use it? If I had to reset this user's password, where would I have to update all the client nodes?

RR, Schoenberger

Sep 27, 2021, 5:44:34 PM9/27/21
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com

Hi

If you still have a client connection, then you have update the PW for all clients via rrControl menu clients/config/service password.

If the clients are not running, then you have to use the rrWorkstationInstaller to update the local config file.

(Note: If you have enabled admin shares in Windows, then you can write a batch file to copy the cfg file to other machines and restart them via commandline)

The rrAutostartservice stores the PW in a cfg file beside the service executable C:\Program Files\rrService\ or /usr/local/rrService.

It might be possible to retrieve the PW if you contact us via the support (at) RoyalRender email/ticket system.

regards,
Holger Schönberger

Please use the rrKnights Tavern
or our support system for new questions.

Francois Kruger

Sep 28, 2021, 5:04:25 AM9/28/21
to Royal Render Knights Tavern
Hi Holger,

Thanks for the info. So I checked the "C:\Program Files\rrService\" and I saw the cfg file, but the password is hashed so that doesn't help me much. So I resorted to changing the user's password now, and then I went into rrControl to clients/config/service password to change the password, but the "Apply new Login" button doesn't do anything. I changed the user's password and hit "Apply new Login" many times but nothing happens. Guess something is broken?

So what do I have to do to get it working now? You mentioned you have to use the rrWorkstationInstaller to update the local config file. How do I do that? Do I log into the node/pc and run the rrWorkstationInstaller and that's it? Do I have to login to that pc as the same user who's password we are trying to change?

While I have you, how do you get the rrClient to start up on startup of the node? So if I restart the node, I want rrClient to come on automatically. How do I set that up? Is that part of what the rrWorkstationInstaller installs for you?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks a ton for your help :)

RR, Schoenberger

Sep 28, 2021, 6:45:09 AM9/28/21
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I can confirm that the rrControl command is broken.

I have logged a dev ticket to fix it.

>Do I log into the node/pc and run the rrWorkstationInstaller and that's it?

Yes, you just run the rrWorkstationInstaller and install the client service.

(and on the rrServer the server service with rrWorkstationInstaller as well)

>Do I have to login to that pc as the same user who's password we are trying to change?

No, you just need to execute it as any user that is allowed to install software on a machine.

Like any other software installation it asks you for admin rights if you execute it.

The user for the client service is specified as an option in rrWorkstationInstaller.

>how do you get the rrClient to start up on startup of the node?

This background service starts automatically when you power on the machine.
I fit does not do that right now, then there is an issue. Probably the user password.

FYI:

The other solution is the „application mode“ for which you have to place an rrClient link in your users autostart.

Then the rrClient is started with the rights of the user logged in.

But this requires that you login and it closes if you log off.

The app mode is required for some OpenGL renders because of a limitation in the Nvidias driver.

(Like the renderer Blender Eevee)

Please see „Manual Application Mode    vs.     Service Mode“

http://www.royalrender.de/help/BasicTestinstallApplicationmode.html

Francois Kruger

Sep 29, 2021, 3:36:36 AM9/29/21
to Royal Render Knights Tavern
Hi Holger,

Awesome thank you. So what worked for me is to use the rrWorkstationInstaller, but the part I missed was that you have to check the checkbox "Client as a background service" to enable you to edit the user's password. After doing that everything seems good and started!

Thanks for the help :)
Francois

Francois Kruger

Oct 5, 2021, 9:22:24 AM10/5/21
to Royal Render Knights Tavern
Hi Holger,

So all the above fixed our clients. But now the rrServer restart and (I think) it is failing regarding the password again now. How do I change the rrServer's password that is being used for the royal user?

RR, Schoenberger

Oct 5, 2021, 9:44:46 AM10/5/21
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com

Hi

Please use the same application rrWorkstationInstaller.

(Name „workstation“ is misleading, but we chose not to create the same service installer application twice with a different name)

Francois Kruger

Oct 5, 2021, 9:57:39 AM10/5/21
to Royal Render Knights Tavern
Hi Holger,

That worked perfectly thanks. It allowed me to change the password for the user and then it restarted the rrService correctly. Yeah I never thought about using it because of the "workstation" name haha, maybe rename it to "serviceinstaller" or something in the future. But cool thanks a lot!

Francois

RR, Schoenberger

Oct 5, 2021, 10:04:06 AM10/5/21
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com

>maybe rename it to "serviceinstaller" or

But it installs submission plugins into Maya as well….

And just „Installer“ misleads that you have to use it to install Royal Render the first time…