Frame Set character limit

Francois Kruger

Apr 26, 2022, 10:00:48 AM4/26/22
to Royal Render Knights Tavern
Hi,

Hope you are doing well? :)

Could you guys confirm if the Frame Set field has a character limit. Because we tried submitting frames 101-201, but each frame, so a list like: "101, 102, 103..." and it seems like it hit a limit at:

101,102,103,104,105,106,107,108,109,110,111,112,113,114,115,116,117,118,119,120,121,122,123,124,125,126,127,128,129,130,131,132,133,134,135,136,137,13

It ended there and just cut off the 138 and stopped.

I just want to confirm that it is indeed a field limit or something and that I'm not being an idiot somewhere. In this case I can just change this to start=101 and end=201, but we might have other cases in the future where we have a random amount of frames like:
101, 114, 115, 127... and then a limit like this would become a roadblock.

Thanks for any help as always!
Francois Kruger

RR, Schoenberger

Apr 26, 2022, 10:51:27 AM4/26/22
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com

Hi

Yes, there the limitfor frameset is currently 150 characters.

There is a different way to submit a Binary Framset for all frames after the job was submitted, but it should not be used for these cases.

Just curious:

Why do you want to submit that many random frames and not the whole sequence?

regards,
Holger Schönberger

Please use the rrKnights Tavern
or our support system for new questions.

RR, Schoenberger

Apr 26, 2022, 10:52:47 AM4/26/22
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com

PS: The next version of RR includes the frame stepping for frame sets.

Francois Kruger

Apr 26, 2022, 11:10:45 AM4/26/22
to Royal Render Knights Tavern
The next version, as in the next one coming out? Or is it out already and I need to update?

Look, it's not used much, and I hate using it myself. But we have a film where we are trying to save budget by only rendering certain frames. Basically a mix of 1 and 2 frame steps. So you could end up having a sequence with a lot of weird gaps in the frames. In other words, not as simple as 101-201+2 or whatever. So the easiest solve is to just make a list of frames and give that to RR. I mean if I had to think up an example imagine something like this:

101-120+2 121-150+5 151-155+1 156-201+3

Or something like that. I know it's an odd request. But it could be a possibly need in the future. Worst case I could split these all into separate jobs or something. It would just be super convenient if I didn't have to.

Francois Kruger

RR, Schoenberger

Apr 26, 2022, 11:32:25 AM4/26/22
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com

Next release 8.3.07 either this week or after FMX in 3 weeks.

It is ready, but missing the test week to look out for issues.

I might be able to send you a pre-release.

Do you think it would fit into 150 chars with the new step parameter?

> Basically a mix of 1 and 2 frame steps

Ok, like you do in stop motion animation.

I will log a new feature request to be able to send this BinaryFrameSet within the submission xml.

(Right now it is only possible with the rrPySubmit module (beta) as a second post-submission step).

But this feature might not be available soon.

RR, Schoenberger

Apr 27, 2022, 11:49:10 AM4/27/22
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com

Pre-release is rendering fine on our farm:

www.RoyalRender.de/download/RoyalRender__8.3.07r1__updateFrom_8.3.05+.zip

The dev ticket of your interest  was implemented:
#8492   frameset with stepstep:  120-130+2, 140-150 +3,

Francois Kruger

Apr 28, 2022, 6:41:33 AM4/28/22
to Royal Render Knights Tavern
Ok awesome thanks a lot! Appreciate the help.