Houdini/Octane or Octane StA rendering

Augustronic

Sep 30, 2021, 8:26:58 AM9/30/21
to Royal Render Knights Tavern

Hello,

is there a way to render Octane within Houdini or as Standalone by Royal Render?

Thanks and have a nice day!
Achim

RR, Schoenberger

Sep 30, 2021, 9:03:56 AM9/30/21
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I am sorry, but this is not possible at the moment.

Royal Render is missing a render config  for Octane Standalone

and the Houdini Scene Parser does not recognize the nodes yet.
I have logged 2 feature requests for it.

When do you want to start a production with it?

regards,
Holger Schönberger

Please use the rrKnights Tavern
or our support system for new questions.

Achim August Tietz

Sep 30, 2021, 9:10:08 AM9/30/21
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

We are already using it in production by rendering locally.

The render config for Octane Standalone would be a gods end due to the amount of licenses we have.

Rendering Houdini/Redshift we do the same.

Have a nice day!

Achim

Achim August Tietz
Founder

Aixsponza GmbH • Feilitzschstrasse 14 • 80802 München
T +49. 89. 2000 134 0 • M +49. 171. 319 84 87 •
www.aixsponza.com

--
If you reply, the message is send to the user group which is sufficient and desired.
Replying "in private" prevents other users to see the answers and might not be seen by the single receiver if he has email rules in place.

openpgp-digital-signature.asc

RR, Schoenberger

Sep 30, 2021, 12:07:11 PM9/30/21
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com

Hi

It might be possible to squeeze it in between larger feature requests end of next week.

>The render config for Octane Standalone would be a gods end

Yes, I would say that an octane render commandline would even be more important as you could export archive files without the farm.

Achim August Tietz

Sep 30, 2021, 12:13:18 PM9/30/21
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

That would be awesome to have!

Have a nice evening!

Achim

Achim August Tietz
Founder

Aixsponza GmbH • Feilitzschstrasse 14 • 80802 München
T +49. 89. 2000 134 0 • M +49. 171. 319 84 87 •
www.aixsponza.com

Jerome Stephan

Nov 30, 2023, 9:19:19 AM11/30/23
to Royal Render Knights Tavern
Hi there, chiming in now 2 years later!

Just wanted to ask, are there any plans to make it compatible with Octane Standalone in the near future? Or have you encountered any issues?
I can see that there is *some* support for Octane Standalone 2020, however it doesn't seem to be fully fledged out yet.
It would also be super helpful to get some pointers on how to add support for it and newer versions (i.e. 2023) if we were to do it ourselves.

Thank you so much in advance and have a nice day!

- Jerome

RR, Schoenberger

Nov 30, 2023, 2:44:10 PM11/30/23
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I have logged a dev ticket to add support for Houdini + Octane.

(which would include a verification if Octane standalone still works).

> It would also be super helpful to get some pointers on how to add support for it and newer versions (i.e. 2023) if we were to do it ourselves.
You would need a new render config file for the new version.
You can duplicate the old, change the version and move it into the _config_inhouse folder.

And then you have three ways to submit the files:

Simple “Hardcoded”:

Either do not include any output filename settings in the render config.
Then duplicate the 2 job preset files RR\Plugins_SceneParser\_scripted\3D09__Redshift.desc.* for Octane.

They are used to set basic job settings.

You must set the submitter option “Do not check for Frames” in the xml file.

Scene Parser:
If you can read the octane files with python to get the output image, duplicate a scene parser like

RR\Plugins_SceneParser\_scripted\2D01__Harmony.py

Submission Plugin

Last option is to create an submission .xml file with some tool/script.
The .xml includes the output filename.

Jerome Stephan

Dec 14, 2023, 5:36:07 AM12/14/23
to Royal Render Knights Tavern
Hi Holger,

Just wanted to know whether there has been an update on this issue/ticket.
Thank you a lot and have a nice day!

RR, Schoenberger

Dec 14, 2023, 6:51:21 AM12/14/23
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com

Hi

Sorry, due to the hardware issue, we have not been able to work on this feature request.

RR, Schoenberger

Jan 26, 2024, 2:58:01 PMJan 26
to rrKn...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I got some new information.

If tests go well, then the next update 9.1.03 contains Houdini + Octane support.

Please see the end of this help page for some limitation:

http://www.royalrender.de/help/3rdPartyRenderer3.html