Kinship in scan1snps

Harry C.

Jul 20, 2022, 2:19:00 AM7/20/22
to R/qtl2 discussion
Dear Karl,

I have encountered an issue with including kinship in scan1snps. The function works correctly when kinship is not provided, but gives the following error with kinship. I can't work out why because the kinship matrix "k" exists in the R environment.

Would be very grateful for any help.

Kind regards,

Harry
Screenshot 2022-07-20 161705.png

Karl Broman

Jul 20, 2022, 11:02:32 AM7/20/22
to rqtl2...@googlegroups.com
We’ve seen similar problems before, but unfortunately I have no clue what’s going wrong:

All I can suggest is to use cores=1.

karl

On Jul 20, 2022, at 1:19 AM, Harry C. wrote:

Dear Karl,
Screenshot 2022-07-20 161705.png

Dan Gatti

Jul 20, 2022, 12:03:46 PM7/20/22
to rqtl2...@googlegroups.com

I agree. I think that reducing the number of cores helped me in a similar situation. Maybe it’s an out-of-memory error masquerading as a variable-not-found error.

---

Harry C.

Jul 20, 2022, 9:32:42 PM7/20/22
to R/qtl2 discussion
Hi both,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I tried running this with only 3 cores and the RAM usage was ~20% of the 256GB capacity. Seems unlikely to be a memory issue for this setup. When I first run the code, the RAM usage increases up to a plateau as data is exported to the cores, and only then the code produces an error. My guess would be that there is a bug in the specific export of the kinship matrix to the cores, as the export of geno probs works fine.

Kind regards,

Harry