Haplotype-based QTL vs SNP-based

Billy Jiang

Feb 18, 2024, 10:26:48 PMFeb 18
to R/qtl2 discussion
Dear Karl,

I trust this finds you well.

I've been trying to do QTL mapping in diversity outbred mice on a few phenotypes, let's say fasting insulin as an example. I performed haplotype-based (using scan1) and SNP-based (using scan1snps) QTL mapping across the entire genome. However, I found some cases where there is a huge peak QTL (LOD = 12) in haplotype-based mapping, but when I looked at the SNP-based result, there was no peak at all (LOD < 3). There are also cases where there was a high peak at SNP-based mapping (LOD > 7), but no haplotype-based peak (under the permutation threshold) at all. Do you know why this was the case? And what might've caused this inconsistency?

Thank you so much!

Cheers,
Billy

Karl Broman

Feb 19, 2024, 1:44:27 PMFeb 19
to R/qtl2 discussion
The haplotype-based LOD scores should each be larger than SNP-based LOD scores, as the haplotype-based ones involve a contrast across the 8 haplotypes, while the SNPs will partition those haplotypes into two groups (the founders with one SNP allele and the founder with the other SNP allele).

The haplotype-based LOD scores can be considerable larger than any single SNP, if the pattern of phenotype effect is not well explained by a single SNP.

If analysis of individual SNPs are really giving strong association signals that aren't present in the haplotype-based results, that could be because of the smoothing involved in the haplotype inference. Another possibility is that the haplotype analysis is using an additive allele model (with 7 degrees of freedom) while the SNP analysis is allowing dominance (2 degrees of freedom tests).

If you look at Figure 1 in the original R/qtl2 paper (https://doi.org/10.1534/genetics.118.301595), you'll see the pattern, that the LOD scores are larger for the haplotype-based analyses (Fig 1B), but that single SNP results may show larger peaks in somewhat different places (Fig 1C).

karl

Billy Jiang

Feb 19, 2024, 6:11:37 PMFeb 19
to R/qtl2 discussion