Dominant or additive locus

Neda Rahnamae

Jan 30, 2024, 8:42:02 AMJan 30
to R/qtl discussion
Dear Karl,

I would be very grateful if you could help me interpret the results of the estimated effects.
I worked on an F2 population and detected 4 QTLs for flowering time.
Here is the result:
Estimated effects:
-----------------
               est       SE       t
Intercept 189.1491   0.2859 661.617
1...@51.4a     1.6292   0.3904   4.173
1...@51.4d     0.9598   0.5286   1.816
3...@67.7a     3.0486   0.4414   6.907
3...@67.7d    -0.2015   0.5432  -0.371
8...@8.9a     -5.2433   0.3940 -13.308
8...@8.9d      1.8724   0.5307   3.528

8...@153.9a    2.4347   0.4352   5.594
8...@153.9d   -0.5190   0.5358  -0.969

the highlighted QTL is the major QTL with LOD score close to 40.

Karl Broman

Jan 30, 2024, 8:43:57 AMJan 30
to rqtl...@googlegroups.com
What is your question? I din’t understand what help you need.

karl

On Jan 30, 2024, at 7:42 AM, Neda Rahnamae <nrahn...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Karl,

Neda Rahnamae

Jan 30, 2024, 9:18:21 AMJan 30
to R/qtl discussion
Dear Karl,

I am sorry. My question is, because I cannot see d = -a or d = +a for any of these QTLs, does it mean that I have a dominant allele for all of them?

Thank you and best,
Neda

Amir FARTASH

Jan 30, 2024, 10:17:52 AMJan 30
to rqtl...@googlegroups.com
Hi ,
I think that here the + and negative relates to the parental lines. for example it means that the the + it comes from maternal and the - is from paternal

--

Ph.D. Student of Functional Ecology and Environment
École Nationale Supérieure Agronomique de Toulouse (INP- ENSAT)

Karl Broman

Jan 30, 2024, 10:34:25 AMJan 30
to R/qtl discussion
Think of AA, AB, and BB genotypes having average phenotypes -a, +d, and +a, respectively.
For a couple of QTL, (3@67.7 and 8@153.9), the estimates are consistent with additive alleles (d could reasonably be 0).
For others, d is bigger than 0 but not quite |a|, so you would maybe say incompletely dominant.

karl