Variance explained

Othmane Lamoumni

Mar 21, 2024, 2:05:28 PMMar 21
to R/qtl discussion
Hello everyone,
I would like a little help to understand the %var information obtained through fitqtl(dropone = T).
Does it mean:
- The % var explained by a QTL in a single model including that QTL alone.
- The % var explained by a QTL in the context of the established multiple QTL model, which in this case, the sum of %var explained I assume should be less than 100%?

                        LOD            %var
3@270.0      20.617          8.005
4@94.2        27.450         12.806
8@202.0      40.786         27.817
10@249.0    24.093         10.261
11@257.0    18.538           6.816
12@244.5    10.345           3.092
13@265.5    30.401         15.389
21@123.5    18.478           6.784
21@133.5    27.992          13.255
22@163.7    16.870            5.941

Othmane

Karl Broman

Mar 21, 2024, 2:41:42 PMMar 21
to R/qtl discussion
Those percent variance explained are derived simply as a transformation of the LOD scores from the drop-one-QTL analysis, and so they can’t be fully trusted. They should be approximately correct if the loci were all completely unlinked and additive; they’re especially untrustworthy in the case of linked QTL.

karl

Othmane Lamoumni

Mar 21, 2024, 5:37:45 PMMar 21
to R/qtl discussion
Indeed, I've come to check the function description. It states these estimations can be completely wrong in the case of linked QTL, as alternatives aren't available yet.