epistasis or additive effect

PAWANDEEP Singh

Apr 22, 2024, 5:37:43 AMApr 22
to R/qtl discussion
Dear Dr. Karl Broman,

I have used the scantwo() function on the RIL population and found a significant hit. In scanone(), one of the QTLs was present, and in scantwo(), there was clear evidence for the second QTL on the same chromosome (based on lodav1 and lodfv1). There was no evidence for interaction, as lodint was not significant, and the effect plot was parallel.

In this case, the AA:AA and BB:BB genotypes had almost similar phenotypes. BB:AA had a very low trait value, and AA:BB showed the maximum trait value.

Can we call this case additive with epistasis?

lp_22_intplot.png
Screenshot 2024-04-22 150335.png

Karl Broman

Apr 22, 2024, 9:19:54 AMApr 22
to R/qtl discussion
Statistical geneticists generally use the term “epistasis” to mean any departure from additivity. So I wouldn’t say “additive with epistasis”. I’d either say the loci were additive, or that they showed epistasis. Though actually most of the time we can’t really tell, and so we just say “there is insufficient evidence to conclude that there is epistasis” or “the data are consistent with additivity”.

With your particular data, the question of whether there is epistasis or not depends on the single individual in the BB/AA group (BB at S2_1741558 and AA at S2_2914686). With just one individual in that group, you can’t say anything about additivity vs epistasis in this case: the data are compatible with each.

karl

PAWANDEEP Singh

May 14, 2024, 1:39:01 AMMay 14
to rqtl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the explanation.

I have a theoretical doubt: when the book talks about the interaction between two loci, does that mean epistasis? Can we see epistasis without interaction (non-significant LODint)?

In the below example, can we conclude whether it is additivity or epistasis with a very low LODint? (In scanone, S3 (AA) and S10 (BB) had opposite effects, which probably suggests them to be additive)

Traits chr1 chr2 pos1f pos2f  lod.full lod.fv1 lod.int PVE.full pos1a pos2a lod.add lod.av1 PVE.add
SADR_1 3 10 97.52 62.23 11.55 3.9 0.02 25.44 97.52 62.23 11.53 3.88 25.4

image.png
Thanks and regards,
Pawandeep Singh Kohli

Karl Broman

May 14, 2024, 9:25:24 AMMay 14
to R/qtl discussion
I use the term “epistasis” as the same as “interaction”.

As is typical in hypothesis testing, we can never really conclude that there is no epistasis. We can just say that the data are consistent with additivity. We don’t conclude that the null hypothesis (additivity) is true, but just that we have insufficient evidence to reject the null hypothesis.

karl

PAWANDEEP Singh

May 14, 2024, 10:22:35 AMMay 14
to rqtl...@googlegroups.com