Are there public rqlite networks?

Ben Standefer

May 7, 2021, 3:23:26 PM5/7/21
to rqlite
I'm interested in kicking the tires on rqlite and I'm curious if there are any public rqlite networks? Is anybody hosting public discovery services? I think it'd be kind of cool if there was an "anything goes" public database... I'm not sure what would happen but it'd be fun to see.

If not... if I host a public discovery service... would anybody want to have an rqlite node join it, insert some data, and see what happens?

–Ben

Philip O'Toole

May 7, 2021, 3:43:30 PM5/7/21
to rql...@googlegroups.com
I run a disco service at discovery.rqlite.com, see https://www.philipotoole.com/building-a-cluster-discovery-service-with-aws-lambda-and-dynamodb/

I don't make any promises regarding its availability, but it should work. :-)

rqlite is *very* easy to run -- it's an explicit design goal. Kicking the tires should take about 1 min, once you download the binary.

Philip O'Toole

May 7, 2021, 3:46:10 PM5/7/21
to rql...@googlegroups.com
Also, just to be clear "public rqlite networks" may not make sense, depending on your meaning. Each node must be able to contact every other (assuming all nodes are to participate in consensus) -- something not always possible if some nodes are behind a firewall. rqlite is not about building peer-to-peer networks, when nodes can come and go.