rqlite v5.7.0 is out -- potentially big disk and network usage reductions

Philip O'Toole

Dec 23, 2020, 7:35:44 PM12/23/20
to rqlite
Version v5.7.0 out now. You can download it from the GitHub Releases page.

This release has a very significant implementation change. Previously Raft log entries (which store the SQL statements sent to rqlite) were JSON-encoded, but that has been changed to Protobufs. Furthermore, a log entry will be compressed before it is written to the log, if that means a reduction in bytes written to disk.

If you've previously tried out rqlite with larger SQL statements, or batches of SQL statements, you might like to try out this version. You may see better and more reliable performance.

My basic testing also shows that write performance has increased by about 10% (though I was hoping for more).

Philip

Philip O'Toole

Dec 24, 2020, 11:52:28 AM12/24/20
to rqlite
I've written a blog post, which describes this change in more detail: