Experiment: RPUG on Facebook

Fridrik Mar Jonsson

Apr 11, 2013, 8:08:27 AM4/11/13
to rp...@googlegroups.com
Hey Pythonistas and Reykvikings,

We'd like to announce an RPUG group we've created on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/python.reykjavik/

No doubt most of you have noticed that activity on this group seems to have slowed down lately, and due to spam we've had to moderate all posts.  In my opinion, this prevents us from communicating asynchronously in the most desirable way.  It's also fairly hard to recruit people to this group, because we don't have an actual landing page or the means to market such a page effectively.  Unfortunately, a large number of Icelandic Python developers I know simply aren't even aware that this community exists.

This is why me and Alex Couper want to try out Facebook as a more casual medium of lightweight communication, and as a way of more easily reaching out to interested people.  We chose Facebook because we believe it has the most users, and whether we use it for the long term or not, it does seem like a good place to start growing the community get discussions going.

Note however that this is just an experiment (it's not officialy replacing the Google Group), so please stay subscribed to this group. Me and Alex have been wanting to do a meetup (beyond the usual drinks) for a while now, perhaps in the form of a sprint in the beginning of summer. We'd love to hear your ideas and thoughts, and we will make sure to post any final announcements in both places.

Best,
Fred