CamNtech motionwatch 8

Poppy Gardiner

Nov 4, 2021, 12:54:39 PM11/4/21
to R package GGIR
Hi there,

I'm working on a physical activity and sleep project, using the CamNtech motionwatch 8 and the accompanying software, Motionware 1.3.17. I'm currently looking for activity cutpoints to use on my physical activity data (MVPA and sedentary) but have not been able to find any that match the population I'm working with (inpatient psychiatric) that have been used with the motionwatch 8. Therefore I am looking to use GGIR but cannot seem to find anywhere that says that GGIR can be used with data from MW8. Please can you advise?

Thank you very much,
Poppy

Vincent van Hees

Nov 9, 2021, 8:05:17 AM11/9/21
to Poppy Gardiner, R package GGIR
Hi Poppy,

Does the MW8 store 'raw' data? Meaning: at least 10 values of acceleration per axis per second.

If yes, what file format does the MW8 produce?

If .csv then GGIR should be able to handle it via read.myacc.csv functionality.

If something else, then we would need a separate function to read that file format. Ask manufacturer whether open-source code exists to read the file format. Alternatively, investigate whether this file format can be converted to .csv.

Thanks,
Vincent

Dr. Vincent van Hees | Independent consultant | https://accelting.com/
image

Nov 9, 2021, 10:24:34 AM11/9/21
to R package GGIR

Hi Vincent,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Unfortunately, no, the MW8 does not store raw data in that way. The MW8 is an epoch based device so it stores one value per epoch. The time stamped epoch data can be exported from within the software.

I take it that this means the MW8 will not be compatible with GGIR, but thank you for your response.

Best wishes,
Poppy