Fwd: Article on the history and recent research developments of the OpenFlow User-space Software Switch (i.e. ofsoftswitch13, now re-baptized as BOFUSS)

Christian Esteve Rothenberg

Feb 7, 2019, 7:11:34 AM2/7/19
to routeflo...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Christian Esteve Rothenberg <ches...@dca.fee.unicamp.br>
Date: Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 10:08 AM
Subject: Article on the history and recent research developments of the OpenFlow User-space Software Switch (i.e. ofsoftswitch13, now re-baptized as BOFUSS)
To: openflow-discuss <openflow...@lists.stanford.edu>, mininet-discuss <mininet...@lists.stanford.edu>, mininet-wifi-discuss <mininet-wi...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: Davide Sanvito <davide....@polimi.it>, Elisa Rojas <elisa.roj...@gmail.com>, Nicola Bonelli <nic...@pfq.io>, Eder Leão Fernandes <ederleao...@gmail.com>, Carmelo Cascone <carmelo...@gmail.com>, Zoltán Lajos Kis <zoltan.l...@ericsson.com>, Alvarez Horcajo Joaquin <j.al...@uah.es>

<apologies for duplicates>

Dear OpenFlow | SDN | Mininet fellows,

considering that many of you in these discuss lists may have or are currently using ofsoftswitch13 (https://github.com/CPqD/ofsoftswitch13), we would like to share the following article https://arxiv.org/abs/1901.06699
that provides a historical overview of this SDN software artifact, which has enabled multiple contributions to SDN/OpenFlow research.

If we have missed citing any of your research use cases, please let us know to update the manuscript accordingly. Any feedback to improve the work would also be most welcome!

Thanks,
Christian (on behalf of the co-authors)

\\
arXiv:1901.06699
From: Elisa Rojas <elisa...@uah.es>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 17:00:30 GMT   (316kb,D)

Title: The Road to BOFUSS: The Basic OpenFlow User-space Software Switch
Authors: Eder Leao Fernandes, Elisa Rojas, Joaquin Alvarez-Horcajo, Zoltan
  Lajos Kis, Davide Sanvito, Nicola Bonelli, Carmelo Cascone and Christian
  Esteve Rothenberg
Categories: cs.NI
Comments: 24 pages, 7 figures; submitted to Telecommunications Systems journal
License: http://arxiv.org/licenses/nonexclusive-distrib/1.0/
\\
  Software switches are pivotal in the Software-Defined Networking (SDN)
paradigm, particularly in the early phases of development, deployment and
testing. Currently, the most popular one is Open vSwitch (OVS), leveraged in
many production-based environments. However, due to its kernel-based nature,
OVS is typically complex to modify when additional features or adaptation is
required. To this regard, a simpler user-space is key to perform these
modifications.
  In this article, we present a rich overview of BOFUSS, the basic OpenFlow
user-space software switch. BOFUSS has been widely used in the research
community for diverse reasons, but it lacked a proper reference document. For
this purpose, we describe the switch, its history, architecture, uses cases and
evaluation, together with a survey of works that leverage this switch. The main
goal is to provide a comprehensive overview of the switch and its
characteristics. Although the original BOFUSS is not expected to surpass the
high performance of OVS, it is a useful complementary artifact that provides
some OpenFlow features missing in OVS and it can be easily modified for
extended functionality. Moreover, enhancements provided by the BEBA project
brought the performance from BOFUSS close to OVS. In any case, this paper sheds
light to researchers looking for the trade-offs between performance and
customization of BOFUSS.
\\