stanford school of engineering library without books

WBPickett

Jul 9, 2010, 9:45:59 AM7/9/10
to Rose-Hulman, WWW, and Society
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2010/07/09/college-libraries-saying-buh-bye-to-books.aspx

Here is a sign of the times. Any comment? Personally, I think
students and faculty will miss the opportunity to browse in the
stacks, rather than depend on key word searches and the wisdom of the
digital indexers.

R. Crowley

Jul 9, 2010, 1:32:28 PM7/9/10
to rose-hulman-w...@googlegroups.com
Businesses are trying to dictate how students do research and gather information. Even though it is an engineering school, there are still subjects that are historical in nature and that books are the best source of information. I have heard that some faculty think students don't use books, but last year we had 19,000 books checked out... which is a lot. Right now we are weeding our collection and it needs it, but if you keep a good collection, the students will check them out. My two cents worth. Rachel