Webtools sample application (electron?)

Emerson Knapp

Jun 17, 2021, 12:19:49 PM6/17/21
to ros-webtools-working-group
This is mainly directed at Wayne, but I'd like to loop in everybody in the conversation.

You brought up in the last meeting an interest in making some sample application for RWT - I personally was thinking to aim at an rqt_graph alternative for ROS 2 using rclnodejs and Electron.

Is that something like what you were thinking? I'd like to figure out how to collaborate on some good demo.

Cheers,
Emerson

Christian Fritz

Jun 17, 2021, 12:59:39 PM6/17/21
to ros-webtools-working-group
Hi Emerson,

That sounds extremely similar to what foxglove currently provides with their topic graph. Would it make sense to explore writing a custom panel for foxglove instead if they don't already have the functionality you have in mind?

Christian

wayne parrott

Jun 17, 2021, 1:32:09 PM6/17/21
to ros-webtools-working-group
Hey Emerson,
1. Thx for the working group initiative. I'm looking forward to contributing and seeing where it can go.
2. re: rclnodejs + electron demo - yes this is spot on to what I had envisioned. The end goal being to serve as a simple how-to guide for using rclnodejs with electron. ATM - we are looking into enabling rclnodejs to run on more recent versions of node > 12. Please proceed if you have bandwidth and we will assist as available.
re: Christian's suggestion for a foxglove contrib I think that is also a valuable effort for that project as well especially if it can get enough traction to be "the" primary UI for robotic operations over time. I like that foxglove is built on a modern tech stack which I believe can help attract more devs into the robotics world especially if there are how-to guides and examples to help them easily on-ramp and get something interesting running.