Review request: rosbridge_suite compatibility with ROS 2

Jacob Bandes-Storch

Jul 19, 2021, 1:59:21 PM7/19/21
to ros-webtools-working-group
I've raised a PR against rosbridge_suite's ros2 branch to add a feature (cbor-raw) that some web tools depend on, which was previously only available in the ROS 1 releases of rosbridge_suite:

https://github.com/RobotWebTools/rosbridge_suite/pull/574

Does anyone know who the current maintainers of this package are, and could help shepherd this to completion? (We'll also need to get it out in a release — rosbridge_suite was included in Dashing, but no other ROS 2 releases since then. It seems like an easy win to include it in Galactic or other future releases.)

Adrian Macneil

Jul 19, 2021, 2:12:22 PM7/19/21
to Jacob Bandes-Storch, ros-webtools-working-group
A meta topic here that would be good to discuss at the next web WG meeting is ownership and decision making process for existing projects.

The community charter describes which repos are owned by this WG (including ownership of both rosbridge_suite and ros2-web-bridge), and the charter describes several membership roles available, but we don't yet have a list of which people map to each role for each project.

As a specific example, I want to advocate for merging roadmaps of rosbridge_suite, ros2-web-bridge, and rosboard's custom websocket server and provide one clear path for folks needing a ROS websocket connection (incorporating feedback & features from all 3 projects). However, we don't yet have a "websocket sub-group" to decide on a path forward here, and it's not clear who is the official maintainer for the existing repos. I don't think this is due to a lack of interest, we just need to define the owners and decision making process.