User initiated recovery?

Mike Purvis

Mar 4, 2015, 4:57:12 PM3/4/15
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com
Another topic here to seed the discussion— what is everyone doing about recovery, for example when a user bricks their computer, or simply wants to reset it to the factory configuration? We've recently begun distributing our robot images and documenting the process so that users are empowered to do a reset whenever they want, but it can also be a fiddly process to capture and re-create any customizations which have been made, whether by them, or at the factory (eg, a driver/launchfile installed to support an integrated sensor).

Anyone thought about this issue at all?

Georg Heppner

Mar 11, 2015, 4:02:46 PM3/11/15
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mike,

With the bought Robots we use I was very happy when there was an Image available! This does of course not recover everything but it gives you the ability to reset the System to a baseline from where you can start again. Most oft the user software (like custom launch files) will reside in a git repository anyway so they can easily be restored. When you try to install EVERYTHING back from scratch you will often run into problems with specific drivers that are for some weird reason not compatible any more.

It might also be a good idea to have the home partition separated from the reset of the system. Like with your normal consumer Ubuntu. You can then easily format all of the system but keep you local config files. I am not quite certain how you would put a configuration like this into an image though.

In case you have custom drivers for integrated sensors that are not "factory default" and therefore should not be contained in the image but are provided by you just hand them out as download. ReInstalling a pc is not that bad if you are able to find all the resources you need.

Best Regards
Georg
Another topic here to seed the discussion— what is everyone doing about recovery, for example when a user bricks their computer, or simply wants to reset it to the factory configuration? We've recently begun distributing our robot images and documenting the process so that users are empowered to do a reset whenever they want, but it can also be a fiddly process to capture and re-create any customizations which have been made, whether by them, or at the factory (eg, a driver/launchfile installed to support an integrated sensor).

Anyone thought about this issue at all?

M.Sc. Georg Heppner
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter Interaktive Diagnose- und Servicesysteme (IDS)

FZI Forschungszentrum Informatik
Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10–14
76131 Karlsruhe, Germany
Tel.: +49 721 9654-248
Fax: +49 721 9654-249

hep...@fzi.de
www.fzi.de

FZI Forschungszentrum Informatik am Karlsruher Institut für Technologie
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Stiftung Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Andreas Oberweis, Prof. Dr. Ralf Reussner,
Jan Wiesenberger, Prof. Dr.-Ing. J. Marius Zöllner