Kicking off

Tully Foote

May 30, 2012, 5:50:12 AM5/30/12
to ros-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for being interested in the development of tf.  We had a good BOF meeting at ROSCon.  I've posted my notes as best I can remember: http://www.ros.org/wiki/groovy/Planning/tf2/ROSCON_BOF  If you remember something else that I missed please feel free to add it.

For those of you not familiar with tf2.  It's a replacement for tf which addresses several of the major issues identified over the last few years.  It's documented at: http://www.ros.org/wiki/tf2 and is actively used as a part of geometry_experimental stack in several projects successfully.

The biggest outstanding issue for consideration with the future direction of tf is how to deal with the multi-robot use cases. This is a fundimental design issue while many of the other issues are mostly optimizations.

As the original author I guess I'm well suited to coordinate this sig, so I'll volunteer to coordinate the efforts.

Thoughts?
Tully

Tully Foote

May 30, 2012, 5:54:04 AM5/30/12
to ros-s...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I sent my email too quickly.

There's two other things which was discussed and are an open design issues.  First as Thomas has recently worked on adding support for uncertainty into tf.  And the other possibly major extension is to support arbitrary graph structures.

Tully

Tully

Tully Foote
Systems Engineer