New repository organisation

Ugo Cupcic

Aug 26, 2015, 1:58:26 AM8/26/15
to ros-sig-shadow
Hi,

As discussed in this issue on github, we're starting a big refactoring of our github repositories. The overall aim is to make the release process a lot easier for us - the lower core repositories don't need to be released that often, while making the end user's life easier. As discussed in the git thread here is the proposed new organisation:
  • sr_common

    • sr_description
    • sr_robot_msgs
    • sr_common (meta package for all those packages)
  • sr_core

    • sr_hand
    • sr_gazebo_sim
    • sr_tactile_sensors
    • sr_mechanism_controllers
    • sr_hardware_interface
    • sr_mechanism_model
    • sr_self_test
    • sr_utilities
    • sr_core (meta package for all those packages)
  • sr_interface

    • hand_kinematics
    • sr_robot_commander
    • sr_example
    • sr_multi_moveit
    • sr_multi_description
    • sr_robot_launch
    • sr_grasp
    • sr_high_level_interface (meta package for all those packages)
  • sr-ros-interface keeping it for historical reasons - same point of entrance as always
    Contains meta packages for installing shadow-robot (basically the 3 meta packages above). Edit README to point to the new repositories.

  • sr_tools

    • sr_movements
  • sr_standalone (kind of a side project)

    • sr_standalone
    • sr_standalone_example
The scenario we want is for "normal" users to install everything up to sr_interface. They could also look into sr_tools if needed. Then power users could get away with installing common and core - if they don't care about moveit / easier to use interface. Finally someone that just wants to interact with a hand from another computer simply needs to install common.

Hopefully that makes sense to everyone!

Cheers,

Ugo