Command line namespace

Aaron Blasdel

May 15, 2013, 11:36:06 PM5/15/13
to ros-s...@googlegroups.com
Musing in a similar method to William.
If we were to put all as scripts on the global since they are under
rqt_* and don't collide.

If the scripts loaded the full rqt and loaded the item inside instead
of stand alone would that be better? One of the issues I have now is
that if they load it from the command line they lose most of the
functionality of rqt.

Tully Foote

May 16, 2013, 3:18:19 AM5/16/13
to ros-s...@googlegroups.com
Another option is to use subcommand syntax to not pollute the global namespace. Unfortunately rqt itself already has a command, but possibly something similar.

Tully

Dirk Thomas

May 16, 2013, 10:34:12 AM5/16/13
to ros-s...@googlegroups.com
rqt already has command line options to run plugins in standalone mode.
The specific scripts for individual rqt plugins are only for convenience.

The global guideline for wet packages is: only core binaries into global bin, other in lib/PGNAME where they can be rosrun.
Since the scripts are usually prefixed with "rqt_" they won't collide anyway.
So the final decision is up to the maintainer I would say...

- Dirk

On 16.05.2013 00:18, Tully Foote wrote:
> Another option is to use subcommand syntax to not pollute the global namespace. Unfortunately rqt itself already has a command, but possibly something similar.
>
> Tully
>

> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM, Aaron Blasdel <abla...@gmail.com <mailto:abla...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Musing in a similar method to William.
> If we were to put all as scripts on the global since they are under
> rqt_* and don't collide.
>
> If the scripts loaded the full rqt and loaded the item inside instead
> of stand alone would that be better? One of the issues I have now is
> that if they load it from the command line they lose most of the
> functionality of rqt.

> --

Isaac Isao Saito

May 16, 2013, 12:56:53 PM5/16/13
to ros-s...@googlegroups.com
Dirk and I had a discussion before about this topic, and I've
documented the conclusion on wiki [0]. Tl;dr: as Dirk said, we keep
providing a way to install script for rqt plugins but won't recommend
to do so. I've added links to our discussions this time as well.

Btw in addition to this topic, for many rqt ad hoc arrangements that
have been discussed but might have not been necessarily documented,
I've been trying to put them together on tutorial pages [1]. Some of
those could be my own thoughts that I didn't even have a chance to
share with anyone else. Review and comments are appreciated.

Isaac

[0] http://ros.org/wiki/rqt/Tutorials/Create%20your%20new%20rqt%20plugin#To_run_your_plugin_directly
[1] http://ros.org/wiki/rqt/Tutorials