rqt plugins, Qt 5 and Kinetic

Dirk Thomas

Apr 21, 2016, 6:39:10 PM4/21/16
to ros-s...@googlegroups.com
In preparation of the Kinetic release which will switch to Qt 5 [1] I have already released the rqt base packages: python_qt_binding, qt_gui_core, rqt.

To avoid branching the repositories containing the rqt plugin I have created a PR [2] on rqt_common_plugins which works (mostly) with the Qt 5 based version of rqt as well as the Qt 4 based version on older ROS distros.

Sadly not all of the third-party dependencies for the common plugins work nicely with Qt 5 and PySide 2 yet [3][4]. If someone would be interested to work on packaging newer versions of some of these dependencies please comment here. It might be especially worth to provide at least one backend for plotting for PySide 2.

Before releasing rqt_common_plugins it would be great if some of you could try the code of the branch [2] - either with Qt 5 on Kinetic or Qt 4 on Indigo / Jade. Any help it testing the code is very
much appreciated to check that it works for Kinetic as well as reduce the chances of regressions in Indigo / Jade.

If you happen to maintain a rqt plugin you might want to look into updating it in a similar way to keep it compatible in Kinetic.

Thank you,
- Dirk