fuerte support

Isaac Isao Saito

Jun 22, 2013, 4:21:15 AM6/22/13
to ros-s...@googlegroups.com
Dirk,

I posted an answer to a question about how to create rqt plugin on
fuerte. Could you take a look if my answer is sufficient/wrong?
http://answers.ros.org/question/65679/install-rqt-plugin-with-rosbuild/

On a related note, now that we know there are (and will be? What's the
estimate after ROSCon and stuff?) many fuerte users, adding more
support on fuerte even from now might be appreciated by some users. If
that's agreeable then I can volunteer the following for example:

- Update fuerte branch, especially add new plugins that don't exist in f-branch.
- Create wiki about how to create rqt plugin on F-turtle.
- Add note on the update email (there was a discussion about a month
ago to send update about rqt to the ROS community)

Let me know how you think. Thanks.

--
Isaac

Dirk Thomas

Jun 22, 2013, 1:09:30 PM6/22/13
to ros-s...@googlegroups.com
On 22.06.2013 01:21, Isaac Isao Saito wrote:
> Dirk,
>
> I posted an answer to a question about how to create rqt plugin on
> fuerte. Could you take a look if my answer is sufficient/wrong?
> http://answers.ros.org/question/65679/install-rqt-plugin-with-rosbuild/

The answer looks good. For more information the users should just take a look to the existing plugins in Fuerte and "derive" their plugin based on these examples.

> On a related note, now that we know there are (and will be? What's the
> estimate after ROSCon and stuff?) many fuerte users, adding more
> support on fuerte even from now might be appreciated by some users. If
> that's agreeable then I can volunteer the following for example:
>
> - Update fuerte branch, especially add new plugins that don't exist in f-branch.
> - Create wiki about how to create rqt plugin on F-turtle.
> - Add note on the update email (there was a discussion about a month
> ago to send update about rqt to the ROS community)
>
> Let me know how you think. Thanks.

Hydro will released roughly at the end of next month.
At the same time Fuerte will be EOL which will imply that the buildfarm for Fuerte will be teared down.
That means that you will not even be able to release updated Debian packages for Fuerte anymore.

Therefore I would highly recommend not to spend any time for Fuerte.
Your time would be better spent implementing new plugins for Hydro and/or improve/bug fix the existing plugins.

- Dirk

Isaac Isao Saito

Jun 23, 2013, 12:26:59 PM6/23/13
to ros-s...@googlegroups.com